Author Topic: Bumps in the road of life  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Bumps in the road of life
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
Hey friends ; have not been on this board in a couple of weeks. Have been a bit distracted with life.

a week ago my truck died apparently the timing belt slipped  and since it is an interference engine the engine is shot . Almost 300,00 miles on it.
So looking for a new vehicle . my mechanic has a good running car should get me through . In the mean time borrowing the wife's car and carpooling with my son .
then the CO alarm stated going off . Long story short the boiler died so am having to work out the detail's to get a one one installed.
Not a lot of time energy or motivation for fun projects.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:33:17 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Bumps of life
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 01:45:59 AM »
Man, I feel for you Tin. Like they say, when it rains, it pours. Hope your luck turns around shortly.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:20:11 AM by b.lindsey »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Bumps of life
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »
Good Luck Jim.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Bumps in the road of life
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:06:43 AM »
I feel ya, Tin. It's been raining around this place for months now......

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »
Feel your pain.  Just had the stitches out of my shoulder today.  Doc told me I could lift as much as I wanted to as long as it was not more than a small coffee cup.  I did not ask if it could have coffee in it.  Keep on trucking.  Stuff can be replaced,  some body parts can also.  But they are not much fun to get repaired or replaced.  Merry Christmas and hope that we all have a better new year.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
Merry Xmas Tin

Tell me about it
Wife’s laptop died ,new MacBook Air
Coffee machine died , new coffe machine nearly 1k
Vacuum cleaner died , new vac
Work Shop heater died , new heater

All this in the last 14 days
My bank balance has taken a bashing and that’s not inc GK,s pressys

Have a good one and a better new year
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
Its that time of year again  :( Think positively Tin - you have a Wife and son to help out with your transport challenges while you sort out an alternative vehicle.

I have my share this year including the central heating oil tank leaking :toilet_claw:

By far the worst is poor Sweep  :'( One of his motor's is shot and on contacting the manufacturer about spares was told their business model is sell cheap, don't repair or supply spares, and hope it lasts beyond the Warranty period then try to flog the customer a new one. How can you replace a member of the family with "a new one"   :disappointed:   I am posting about Sweep's problems and their response on the manufacturer's web forum I am sure it will contribute to their business reputation.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steve17

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
Life Bowles a curved ball every now and then, look on the bright side you have the support of your family and your health. With that combination you have won.
I had a tumour removed 3 weeks ago and work have just sent me a letter to say they are not going to pay me because I was late with my doctors note. So much for sick pay ( according to my contract I get it ) the beauty of working in the oxymoron called education.
Steve.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »
To all offing moral support . Thank you and to others having there own issues thanks for sharing . Reminds me i am not alone.

The contractor is supposed to pick up the deposit check tomorrow and do the install . this coming Thursday.
He sort of offered to do the install tomorrow . But i figured it not best to be doing an install the day before Christmas.
he would need a third guy etc. I am not working  that day and not thrilled with making someone else do it.
Plus gives me a bit of extra time to do the tear out.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
I figure I owe you guys and gals an update. The heater is in and paid for. but still have not felt like making models or having a lot of fun .
The 2nd of February i was on the way home in the replacement car. A car stopped in front of me on snow covered road I was attempting to avoid the car did not want to go in the oncoming lane tried to navigate between two poles  into a farmers field . ended up hitting a pole and totaling the car.
So back to hitching ride from my son and  borrowing the wife's van . and trying to find an acceptable replacement.  Cant wait for sring to come.

We did make a trip to the NEMES show  so not totally  hiding.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 10:35:45 PM »
Don't some setbacks come in 3's ?

If so - I hope that you had your last for a while .... good luck and best wishes.

Per

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
Cars and heaters can be replaced. Glad the accident wasn't worse Tin. Here's wishing for an early Spring.

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
First time checking in here in weeks. Good Friday found a 2002 nissan Sentra w 60k miles on it . it is tagged and inspected so have wheels again.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 09:45:29 PM »
That's good news Tin. Sounds like a good find too with only 60k miles!

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 02:12:17 AM »
Tin,
Good to see you have that sorted out without injury as well. We had to have our water heater replaced recently. The nerve of the thing to only last 17 years. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal