Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Restoring a Stuart Turner No. 9 Mill Engine

(1/6) > >>

simplyloco:
I've been away for a while, finishing my Britannia locomotive, but I was given an ancient Stuart Turner No.9 engine today, and I'm quite excited about restoring it! I'll do this in parallel with the build of a 4" Scotch boiler to power it, and perhaps also power the Beam Engine I built last year. I'm back on this site because the MECH site where the Brit resides is all about trains: I'm a model engineer, not a Station Master...
Here's how it looks, all seized up. Close examination showed it to be probably an 'Apprentice Piece', worked on by a few oiks - like me at that age!
Like a Curate's Egg, parts of it are excellent: the cylinder bore is a delight - other parts though, leave a lot to be desired! The crankshaft is bent, and the main bearings have never been line reamed so it is as tight as a drum. I've reamed the bearings, but a new crank is required.

WP_20181221_20_05_28_Pro by inkaboat, on Flickr

Watch this space. I want to bring it up to the standard in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbEe6iOSxnY
BTW here's the Brit needing just a few touches to finish it, but I've just been distracted by this engine!
John

WP_20181210_17_21_20_Pro by inkaboat, on Flickr

crueby:
Going to be a very nice Stuart engine, already is a beautiful loco!

steamer:
Always loved the 9....I'll be watching along!

Don't be afraid to show some of that locomotive either!......Nice!

Dave

10KPete:
That has a pretty good knock in it! Persevere!

Peter

Kim:
Wow! Love your Britannia! As others have said, please feel free to post some pics of your locomotive.  You've done a nice job on it!

I'll be watching your Stewart restoration too.

Kim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version