Author Topic: London Model Engineering Show 2019  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: London Model Engineering Show 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos, it's nice to see what those down south are up to  :)

Jason, what is the rather attractive little green oscillator (image 7 in post no 26)?  Thanks

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
It looks very much like it is based on the one in Muncaster's book. Julius should have posted a set of drawings for it.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »
Those traction/plowing engines are beauts!
Thanks for all the photos!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
Chris I thought you would have been more interested in the Salt water Crocodile submarine  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 07:10:46 PM »
Chris I thought you would have been more interested in the Salt water Crocodile submarine  ::)

Jo
Well, yes, I was looking at that croc - thought it was just a decorative head. Is it an operating sub? Very cool! We are supposed to have one of our RC sub meets tomorrow over near Bufallo NY, but it all depends on the weather, it is snowing a lot today, supposed to be another foot or so and high winds tomorrow, so it all depends on if the weather-guesser is correct for once.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
One thing I notice in a lot of the pictures from this and other UK shows is the much greater emphasis on security with the alarmed systems and such. Is this based on problems in the past or just a precautionary measure. That just doesn't seem very common at all on this side of the pond unless things have changed in the last year or two since I have attended one. Just curious is why I am asking.

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
Models have walked in the past

The other thing is our shows tend to just be a display on a stand that may or may not be attended by anyone, your shows are very much a table with the owner on one side and the viewer on the other so there is always going to be someone there to keep an eye on things.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »
Thanks Jason, that does make sense and I agree, over here the owners are usually very close to their models, like across the table as you say.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
Being connected to an Alarm system is also an insurance requirement for the shows  :-\

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 07:49:41 PM »
As far as I know, things haven't gotten quite that strict insurance wise over here yet, but give them time and they probably will.

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »
One thing I have noticed about the US exhibitions is they seem to have far more models running than we do in the UK, it seems like they have a centralised air supply where as here we rely on exhibitors providing their own supply.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
One thing I have noticed about the US exhibitions is they seem to have far more models running than we do in the UK, it seems like they have a centralised air supply where as here we rely on exhibitors providing their own supply.
The couple I have been to here in the US had a big commercial air compressor in the back somewhere, with pipes run down the backs of the tables and shutoff valve/taps on each table. Works very well, though it must be a big initial cost for all the piping/fittings and a bunch of work to set up by the show runners. Each exhibitor just had to bring a pressure valve/manifold/tubing to hook up their models. It does make for a great show though, stuff ticking away in every direction. The IC engines just ran off their own fuel, naturally.

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »
My thanks to Jo and Jason for the photos - sort of makes up for me not being able to attend this year, well, nearly but not quite!  All much appreciated.

I don't know if it just clever photo composition or what, but the feeling I get is that there were not that many there at the show.  Normally when I go, I can't get to the front of the stand without a lot of pushing because of all the grey-haired old fellas like me who are blocking the pitch with their rucksacks on their backs, not actually buying anying or querying any item on display but just talking amongst themselves.  In these photos, apart from the old chap with a tattoo there seemed the crowd was definitely thin on the ground.

Re security, I can quite see the need to have the model wired together, having once run a stall at a junior school fate where stuff marked at just £0.50 each got nicked right under our nose.  Never underestimate the pleb who thinks their entitlement to something is greater than yours, the owner of said item.

Chris

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
You are right Chris, visitors were light on the ground on Friday. This seems to be the way shows are going... less visitors means the traders question going. Two major tool companies had smaller stalls this year and the last remaining large stand is talking about this being the last year they attend.

This was my last year at Alley Pally: I find it an awful place to get to, there are so few model engineering traders any more and I came home having failed to be able to buy the bits I needed   :disappointed:

Jo

Offline Steve17

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »
I know what you mean Jo, this is my last year as well. It's been about four years since I last attended and a real marked down turn in content (in my opinion). Having said I did come away with a couple of bits and pieces but nothing that I could not phone them up for.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal