Author Topic: London Model Engineering Show 2019  (Read 9609 times)

Online Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
Re: London Model Engineering Show 2019
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
Don't think I will be going to Alley Pally again either, as you say Jo, it's not the easiest place to get to, for us it means a drive up to Farnham to daughters, then a train to London, Tube across London, bus to site and back, a time consuming and not inexpensive journey.  To be disappointed when I got there would be too much.  Sad to see no Bristol show this year but often in France then anyway, but I liked that show.  Midlands show also involves a drive, to daughters in Gloucester.  But at least from there it's not an onerous drive to the show and one can then park right outside the hall, a major bonus for me! 

Chris

PS I know one can park at Allly Pally but who on earth wants to drive in London these days?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:39:24 AM by Laurentic »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »
It does seem that the area to the left hand end gets bigger each year and even more so this year with the Steam Punk Area and the isles get wider.

I tend to view it that if the cost of the ticket equates to the postage on a few items I could have ordered then I'm not really out of pocket, think I bought from 8 separate stalls so certainly covered postage costs. I had 19 items on my list and got 17, did not really expect to get the other two as one was metric stock and the other I think only EKP sells.

Took me 1hr 20mins to drive across London and about 20-25mins longer getting home though the Scooby did not enjoy the 20mph limits.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
Jo and Jason.....belated thanks for all the photos.     Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
HI All, I went on Saturday to the show and it was really packed and very difficult  to get to the trade stands with so many back packs !! I bought a few things and spoke to quite a few old friends .....I went with the Norridge  society and years ago the 52 seater bus was full but recently it only has about 26 ..... Yes there does seems to be more space although all the seating chairs and tables were well attended !! I will continue to go to the shows as in our club the Coach trip is being subsidised by the clubs pecunary directive. What i did see ,was, that the quantity of models on display was superseded by the size of the exhibits .Jo, I did miss the Bridport Foundry stand that features in one of your photos, they had a lot of castings available of various stationary models and if i had seen it i would have purchased a few of there flywheels for future projects...I did however buy some part machined flywheels from the RDG stand at quite reasonable prices i thought, and was quite surprised to see them there !!
Willy

Offline Edward

• Stanmore, Middlesex UK
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
I went on Sunday with my 8 year old son. We go every year, but its only 25 mins drive for me and we just regard it as a fun day out and some one-to-one boy time as the girls opted out as soon as they were given a choice :-)

Didn't have a shopping list really but came away with some nice new sharp USA made files, a nice number 2 Thor for the boys growing tool kit and a pair of RC 'battle tanks' that we spent the whole evening playing with. Turns out mummy is secretly the best tank commander in the whole family!

I think its smaller than ever but at the moment it has sufficient to keep us amused.

What I am surprised at is the paucity of 'moving' stuff. I am sure back in the Wembley Conference Centre days they had a big pool (well a pool that seemed big to a small child) for RC boats and also a racing arena for RC cars, all of which added a bit of a buzz to the proceedings. I know they have the planes and the (yawn!) truck area but I am sure more of the like would improve things. At least the Gauge 1 guys and the 16mm steam people put on a bit of a show :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
Yes the other MEX put on by MAP at the time at Wembly had car racing every day in the conference hall, boat pool and a straight length of track up on one of the balconies for train rides only down side was they made you wait outside until opening time.

Offline kvom

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 04:14:58 PM »
No dirt pile for the front loaders, dump trucks, and drag links?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Here are the flywheels from RDG   3-3/4 and 7 inches part turned and more on the crocodile for Chris !!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:16 PM »
Thanks Willy!
I'm not sure, but this video might be for that one:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbG1NPBIzNI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbG1NPBIzNI</a>
They sure scared the beans out of that duck! One of the guys over here made a RC duck decoy once, and made the mistake of getting too close to some of the Canada Geese with little ones at the pond, Momma Goose attacked, beat the snot out of the decoy, and sank it! They never did find it...
Here is another one, or maybe the same after they added a body...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52e-dtQTyd4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52e-dtQTyd4</a>

Closest I have is my RC submarine shaped like a Great White Shark.

And my sea turtle submarine:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal