Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31119 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2019, 12:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the comment Bill; Thanks to those of you silently following along…

Work has been progressing slowly on this model.  Lots of little parts to make, and lots of fitting and re-fitting.  A while back I was thinking it might be nice to build another of these, once I get this one done and figure out all the nuances.  At this point I’m thinking I want to get it done and then run a million miles from it. :hellno:  Yep, it’s been a frustrating build.

I finally have both igniters complete and functioning nicely- so my ohm meter says.  I seem to have picked up a little leakage in the intake valves.  I’m hoping it’s just a shaving or two unseating them, something a thorough cleaning should flush out.   

A video as I turn the engine over
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS274mpQBeY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS274mpQBeY</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:27:08 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2019, 01:04:20 AM »
Awesome engine Craig.---Brian

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:22 AM »
One of the coolest things about the Standard engines, all the great motion on the top of the engine.
Nicely done!

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2019, 03:32:46 AM »
Craig,
There sure are a lot of fiddly bits on that engine, looks great.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »
Still following along with interest  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: It's a fascinating engine  :) Some of the pictures of the igniters are blocked for me  :( are they on PhotoBucket?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2019, 01:44:53 AM »
No Roger, the photos are hosted in Google photos.  I just tried with a browser not signed into google and still saw them so I can't imagine why they don't appear for you???
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »
The ones in reply 162 are not showing here either, just a little icon line.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2019, 03:24:45 AM »
Craig,
I think you let your shop gnomes out of the shop and they are fiddling with your photos now. Dangerous thing those rascally critters and electrical gadgets. Chris is right about post 162.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2019, 03:53:19 AM »
Those NASTY Gnomes, Chris would say, "Not enough chocolate chip cookies" no doubt.  I have the gnomes converted back into helpful shop elves and re-processed the photos.  I can see them so I'll assume y'all can too now.  Thanks for pointing this out.
Craig

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
Those NASTY Gnomes, Chris would say, "Not enough chocolate chip cookies" no doubt.  I have the gnomes converted back into helpful shop elves and re-processed the photos.  I can see them so I'll assume y'all can too now.  Thanks for pointing this out.
You found the right cookies for them, pics are back!   :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
Thanks for the video Craig. Sure will be a fascinating one to watch running.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all of you who are following along.

I haven’t posted on this project for a while but I’ve been slowly slogging along toward its completion.  It’s pretty much together at this point, sans the water pump and accessories (such as stand, fuel tank, water tank, electrics, etc.).

I’ve run into many more drawing errors; but errors on fabricated parts.  I also had to make modifications to the mixer in order to fabricate it and assemble it.  I have some silver soldering to do, mostly plugging the intake and exhaust manifolds where “drill throughs” were required in order to machine them.   

Here’s a photo of the “mixer” side of the engine.  In this photo the intake manifold and mixer are evident.  I managed to fabricate the needle and spray bar in the opposite direction from where the drawings show, but then I’m left handed- so I figure it’s handier for me that way anyway. :shrug:

In this photo you get a better look at the mixer.  I really like the design of this mixer, I think it will work well.  The needle adjustment is the knurled knob on the left.  The throttle is the big lever on the top.

Here is a close look at the top of the engine from the mixer side.  The dual levers allow running adjustments to the igniters.  They are going to be a bear to set up but I’m thinking they may actually serve a function after all.

Here is a photo of the exhaust side of the engine.  The brass flange is the water inlet.  The two threaded openings in the cylinder walls are for lubricators- yet to be installed.

Here is a close look at the top exhaust side of the engine.  The large brass piping is the exhaust.  The smaller copper piping is the water outlet.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:31:31 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
Great progress Craig, everything looks real nice!

Dave

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »
Hello Craig,

Following and enjoying this build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
Lovely work, Craig. Lots of things to go round and round and up and down.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal