Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31101 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
Thanks for following along and your comments.

Work has been progressing over the last few days; I just haven’t posted.  Probably time to update the project.

I have completed the valve guides and valves, lapped them, and am ready to install them.  If you’ve been following Brian’s hit and miss project in a parallel post, you’ll notice the valves and valve guides thread into the head as Brian designed his.  This is also reminiscent of the Meyers engine I built a while back but the designer of this engine had the presence of mind to include plugs across form the valve guides so you can lap the valves and install them separate from the guides (as Brian did his).

I’ve one again strayed a bit from the drawings and builders notes.  The specs call for brass valve guides and steel valves.  I had some cast iron so I used it for the valve guides and I got some 303 stainless steel for the valves.  I have no experience with brass valve guides on an IC engine; all my previous engines have had cast iron guides so I went with the material with which I’ve had good experiences.

I suspect, when I install the valve guides, I’ll use Loctite to hold them in place; same with the plugs.  I’ve worked quite a bit to loosen up the valve guide threads, so they should screw into place fairly easily.  The drawings call for using a 4-40 socket head cap screw and nut to capture the valve guides and insert them into the heads.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2019, 11:48:28 PM »
Lots of nice work there Craig, the heads are coming along great.

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:58 PM »
Thanks for your comment Dave.  Thanks also to those silently following along.

The mechanism has gotten pretty stiff since I’ve installed the pistons and rings.  I’ve been doing some “running in” on the lathe to trying to loosen things up a little.

Today I worked on fabrication of the intake and exhaust cams.  There were several ways I could think of fabricating these, but I ended up using my indexing head; rotating the piece ten degrees and cutting a flat.

After a bit of filing, the flats were smoothed out and the final cam shape was attained.

The intake and exhaust cams are nearly the same shape, just with some flats cut at various places.  Here I’ve cut a flat on one of the exhaust cams and I’m now parting it off the stock.

With the cams fabricated and installed, I have the model on the lathe and am performing a pit of “running in”.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVQNEAk0N0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVQNEAk0N0</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 08:40:07 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »
Lovely stuff Craig. That is a very interesting engine.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:19 PM »
Coming along beautifully!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread.  Life has kept me away from the shop for some days and the work, while in the shop has been a bit tedious.

I was thinking of making a few snide remarks pertaining to how the measurements given for the intake and exhaust rockers are “mere suggestions”, but upon further reflection, this probably is the reality of this particular model.  All lengths are based upon where the side shafts land when spotted to the heads; and that is based upon the geometry used in the base (read back thread for those problems) and also the rotation of the heads.  There is no “true” way to align the heads on the cylinders, and even a rotation of a degree or two will make significant changes in the lengths of the rocker arms.  I suspect that “trial and fit” is, in reality, the order of the day.  The rockers that resulted from my fabrication are each unique, and are not interchangeable.  They don’t particularly look like then drawings either.

The intake rocker resides inside the head and is difficult to see once the rocker assemblies are complete.  In this photo I have it swung out so you can get a good look at it.  It has a roller on the end that rides on the intake cam.

In this photo the same rocker has been swung in place into the head.  The intake valve stem is on the right, the exhaust valve stem on the left.  I haven’t assembled the exhaust rocker yet.

Here is a photo of the intake rocker and intake cam assembly.  I’m just using a ¼ inch drill as the cam shaft in this mock-up.  The intake valve is closed.

This is a photo of the exhaust rocker.  It is a casting  and I’ve attached a roller as specified in the drawings to ride upon the exhaust cam.

Here you see the exhaust rocker installed in the head .

Another photo of the head with the intake and exhaust rockers in place.

With all valves and rockers installed, here’s a short video of the rockers and valves in action.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTJD4R8VMs4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTJD4R8VMs4</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:19:13 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
Interesting rocker arrangement + it shows that certain new trends are just a slightly different way to make something done years ago  :old:

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
The engine is coming along nicely Craig!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I always wondered about the valve/rocker arm arrangement on this engine. Thanks for showing the details!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
The engine is certainly going to be unique! Very nice work Craig.
Gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:30 PM »
Those heads are works of art Craig. What an interesting engine.

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2019, 01:36:48 AM »
Craig,
It's probably a good thing I didn't design that thing cause it would look very different and a lot less complex. Lookin good :ThumbsUp:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
Admiral, Yogi, George, Bill, Art; thanks for your comments and replies.  Thanks also to those checking in without leaving a comment.

I’ve found life really getting in the way of my shop time over these last few weeks, still progress has been made.  I’ve been working on the igniters.  To me at least the drawings aren’t very clear as to how this plethora of parts go together to make an igniter system so I’ve been making parts which I can identify and then assembling them to the engine, and letting that lead me to how everything else goes together.  Many of these parts are quite small (for me at least) and they are exacting in size, so I’ve had to make a few over again once I saw how they fit and where I needed to make some adjustments.

Also, not mentioned in the drawings, but you have to make mirror images of all the non symmetrical parts because the heads are mirror images. You’d think this might be apparent to the builder, but to this builder it wasn’t till I thought about it when some parts wouldn’t fit.  Here I give you a view of some of the parts to make one of the igniters.

In this photo you see the adjustment for the igniter timing.  I’m sure this worked well on the full size, it is constructed to adjust the timing on the model also but I doubt there is enough travel to make a really noticeable change. 

This is a better view of one of the igniters; I don’t have the other one completed yet. 

Finally, I give you a somewhat jerky view of the engine as I turn it over slowly.  From the video you should get a fairly good idea how all this goes together.  I have verified that the igniter is tripping and resetting with a volt/ohm meter.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEJS1_kg6k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsEJS1_kg6k</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:22:38 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
Some fiddly parts for those igniters indeed Craig. Just curious, what are the igniter contact points?

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »
Bill, I got some tungsten electrodes a while back I've been using for the igniter points.  The diameter is 1/8th inch so I usually need to turn it down some, which is a chore because the stuff doesn't machine well at all.
Craig

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:27 PM »
Yeah I can imagine as to turning them down, but they should last. Thanks for the info.
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal