Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31002 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Roger
The building notes call for using 1/4 in. Drill rods, slightly longer than clearance allows; sharpening one end to a point, placing them in the bottom bearings, then easing the top casting down and tapping lightly to pick up a pin prick you can use for centering and drilling the top bearing.  We'll see how that goes when we get there.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
Roger, Art, Dave; thanks for tuning in and commenting.  Thanks for you others that stop by to see what’s going on.

After a few days of other things that took me away from the shop; I had a full day today and made the most of it.

It was time to make the stanchions that support the cylinder and top end of the engine.  Here I’ve started forming the end of one; this end attaches to the cylinder casting. 

After cutting the piece to size and turning it around in the lathe I’m now forming the end that attaches to the engine base.

With all four stanchions cut to length and their ends formed, it’s time to put some threads on the ends.  These are 5/16th-18 threads.  I cut them mostly with the lathe, then use a re-threading die to finish. 

Finished and ready to install

Now I’m moving on to the cylinder block.   I’ve already faced it top and bottom to the correct dimension and I just finished drilling the holes that fit on the above stanchions.  It’s going to be a while till I do that however, there are lots of milling operations to be completed while I have this setup.

Here I’m boring the cylinder for the cylinder liners.  One side is complete.

And by the end of the day, the other side is complete.

Complete is a misnomer.  I have yet to bore out the center of each cylinder so that after I’ve pressed in the cast iron cylinder liner a space is formed for the water jacket.  I’m hoping to get at that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:51:13 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
Looks great!
 Scott

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2019, 11:33:47 PM »
Very nice Craig. You make it look easy.---Brian

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »
Nice work and progress Craig.

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2019, 10:42:33 PM »
Scott and Dave, thanks for dropping by and thanks for your compliments. 

Today was a boring day (yea, I’ve been planning to say that since yesterday ;)).   I spent the day boring out the water jacket chambers. This is the tool I used.  I didn’t have enough material (on either cylinder) to bore these jackets to the 2.125 inch diameter specified in the drawings; I would have bored through the cylinder block.  I chose a jacket thickness of 1/8th inch which left enough material on the cylinder wall so a strong grip won’t crush it but yet enough width for cooling water.  This should be ok.  I’ve heard that this engine really needs cooling water as the cylinder heats up quickly without it.

I’ll give a helpful hint :old: to someone planning on building this model, a detail that they may not notice.  DO bore the water jackets to a depth below the water inlet boss.  In this “progress so far” photo that would be the drilled parallelogram shaped boss on the right of the cylinders in the below photo) BUT NOT to a depth of the cylinder oiler inlets (the three circular bosses just below the water inlet boss.  Water must flow into the water jacket but water cannot flow into the drilled channel from the oilers to the cylinder (haven’t drilled them yet).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:53:17 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »
Coming along beautiful Craig!   Got a drawing of the oiler/water passage you can share?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2019, 12:10:00 AM »
Dave

The drawings are copyrighted with a "do not duplicate" statement so no, probably shouldn't repro here.  I mentioned this because from the drawings, it isn't obvious, I nearly missed it myself.
Craig

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 03:24:30 AM »
Craig,
Making good progress, and good catch on the depth of the coolant jacket. Sort of have to know the intent of the design even if the prints don't specify it.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2019, 07:09:13 AM »
It's starting to look more like an engine.

You have mentioned several times about the tight fits and castings being a bit small. Was this engine originally done in cast iron as it does look like the castings may have all shrunk more than originally allowed for in the patterns? You can easily see it looking at the top of the cylinder casting where the two bores look to be to far apart for the shape of the casting

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »
I was wondering that too Brian.  I was talking to a friend at Cabin Fever who is building this model but is further along.  He stated he ran out of metal on one if the heads and had to have the casting built up to make the tolerances.  I sure hope that doesn't happen in my case.  I'll be studying this carefully when I get to the heads.  Nice to be for-warned.
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »
As far as I know this engine and  any of the other Ed Banke models were only offered in aluminum.

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2019, 11:18:53 PM »
Mystery solved... but not to my liking.  Some math shows the distance between the crankshaft journal centers to be 2.100 inches.  The drawing gives a distance between cylinder centers to be 2.256 inches.  The cylinder drawing is in error, so I have bored the cylinder block with both cylinders .078 offset from where they should be :cussing:.  I'm hoping Bob Banke will provide some guidance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:46:31 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:59 PM »
I'm going to check my drawings.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2019, 07:42:39 AM »
At least you know what the problem is, I am surprised no one had spotted this earlier and let the designer know  :wallbang:  If you are the first to let them know you have a good justification for a replacement casting...  if others have already told them and they failed to correct matters  :rant:

Rebore slightly over size and make over size liners?  :noidea: Good luck...

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal