Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31004 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 10:32:55 PM »
Very nice work Craig. I find that with crankshafts cut from solid that if you do end up with more runout than you like, you can put one end in the 3 jaw chuck and whack the other end around a bit with a dead blow hammer to get them running true. Crude, but effective.  Let me ask you a question about your previous hit and miss build. did you have an anti-backflow valve in the gas line, and if you did, what size was the ball.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:57 PM »
Brian

With the Myers engine, the carburetor was built with an internal atmospheric valve.  The fuel fed into side of the valve seat so unless the engine was on an intake stroke, with the valve lifted to draw air (and fuel) the fuel flow was shut off.  With this arrangement I didn't need (or have) a one way valve in the fuel system. 
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
Hello Craig,

Wow, that is one heck of a crank, really great work :ThumbsUp: :headscratch:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2019, 12:33:19 AM »
Nicely done!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2019, 12:57:47 AM »
Beautiful!!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2019, 01:00:52 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Nice work on the crank. You must be relieved that's over.

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
The video shows it well Craig. Turns over easily with just the right amount of resistance to "bed" itself in under running conditions. Nicely done!!

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
Pretty cool! :popcorn:

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2019, 02:02:43 AM »
nice!  can't wait to see what's next?? :whoohoo:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
Bill, John, Thomas, Brian, Dave, Chris, bent, Flopearedmule; thanks for your compliments and feedback.  Thanks again for the others stopping by from time to time to see my progress.

I got back from the Cabin Fever Expo (had a GREAT time) just in time for some abnormally cold weather; I also had some chores to do, so I didn’t get back in the shop till today.

First on the agenda was boring the supplied gears to accept the engine shafts.  Here I’m boring the crankshaft gear.

The helical angle on the camshaft gear is much less than that on the crankshaft gears.  The gear didn’t seem to mount well in the 3-jaw chuck so I decided to make a fixture to hold it.  This is the fixture.  It has a shoulder which the gear rests upon and is slit so that the lathe chuck will compress the fixture and grip the gear.  This is the fixture (sorry for the blurry picture)

And here is the fixture and gear mounted in the lathe.

Here I’ve center drilled the gear, drilled the center, and am reaming the final diameter of ¼ inch.  The drawings don’t describe how this gear is attached to the camshaft (there is no keyway as with the crankshaft gear).  I’m thinking a press fit or just Locktite it to the shaft.  Any thoughts?  :help:

I thought I took a photo of the operation of clearing space for the camshaft gear.  I guess I didn’t because there wasn’t one on the camera. :shrug: 

In this photo I’m fitting the gear.  The building notes indicate you should spot the hole for the lower bearing (there was no measurement given).  I did this by mounting the engine base to my mill, assembling the gear train, then rotating the crankshaft and letting the cam gear rotate on this drill center.  I moved the mill table in and out till the gear ran freely with little backlash.  This gave me the location to drill for the bottom bearing hole.  I zeroed the DRO on my mill to this location using the ABS index for the one camshaft and the INC index for the other.  This allowed me to relocate both these centers.

Once the holes for the bottom bearings were drilled in the base, I attached the gear covers and center drilled, drilled, and reamed both gear covers using the pre-established DRO zero described above.

With the gear covers drilled through, I could invert them in the mill vice, center on the hole, then mill clearance for the gear in the gear cover.  The building notes indicate that there is very little clearance and there is a risk of breaking through the casting in this operation.  I achieved the measurements given without a breakout. :cartwheel:

The drawings call for the steel camshaft to fit into a reamed hole in the engine base.  With the engine base being aluminum I just couldn’t envision where an aluminum bearing would suffice.  I’m sure it probably works ok but I decided to oversize the hole and use a brass bearing instead.  Here I’m fabricating the bearing.  I’m using my new Arthur R Warner tooling I acquired at the Cabin Fever Expo.  I wanted to get some carbide tooling for turning flywheels and I kept walking by the Warner tooling booth and drooling; I finally bit.  The tooling comes standard with HSS inserts.  I also got some carbide inserts for the flywheels.

Hard to see but here I’ve pressed the bearing into the engine base.  All ready to receive the ¼ inch camshaft.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:44:32 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »
Great work Craig!   I was going to suggest a toolmakers button with the OD a slip fit on the ID of the gear, but no need! that obviously worked great!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2019, 11:21:29 PM »
Craig,
It was great to meet you at Cabin Fever. Great progress on the crankshaft and helical gears.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
Art.
Yep, nice to associate a face with a name.  Hope you has as good a time as I did and hope your trip home was uneventfull.
Craig

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2019, 03:31:30 AM »
Craig,
The drive back to my in laws was a wet but uneventful 30 minute drive. We have a friend staying at our house this week and he spent 20 minutes shoveling snow so he could park off the street. Then the neighbors grandson came out with the snow blower. I have to get mine running, probably just need to clean the plug, and not flood it next time. Hopefully it won't snow more before we get home Sunday.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2019, 07:51:28 AM »
That was quite an interesting way to set the centers for the helical gears  :ThumbsUp: I will be interested to see how the other end of the shaft is aligned  :thinking:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal