Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31112 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 01:03:36 AM »
Bill, Dave, Brian, Art; thanks for your comments.  Thanks for everyone silently stopping by too.

Brian:
Machining crankshafts makes your old heart go "pitter-patter", doesn't it!!!
:NotWorthy:

Art: your estimate was spot on.  I have around two inches of tooling reaching into the throw.  I couldn’t do much more.  I purchased some ½ inch tooling specifically for this task since my 3/8th inch tooling wasn’t long enough.

You know, you really need to refer to the drawings every once in a while. :stickpoke:  After I finished the first throw and had setup for the second, I remembered that I needed to add this profile in the piece between the throws.  Since I have the 2nd throw already set up, might as well address that one and then go back and do the first.

Here I’m just getting started.

And here I’ve just finished this detail for the second throw.

A detail I need to finish on this side of the throw is cutting a curve in the top of the minor and major throws.  Since we all like videos and I was getting kind-a bored here’s a video of the process.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1UnW3OkBg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1UnW3OkBg</a>

With the crankshaft turned around and back in the lathe where it was for the first setup, :facepalm2: I’m starting on the detail for the first throw as I did above.  Since this is cosmetic, I’m not too concerned about not having this detail exactly concentric to the connecting rod journal.

A video of the same.  Since someone is bound to comment :stickpoke: on the small divot in the connecting rod journal I guess I need to explain.  Just a moment of inattention while on the mill and my end mill took this divot out of the journal. :disappointed:  It’s very small and shouldn’t affect operation of the engine; in fact it might help it in that it probably will retain oil in the journal.  If you press me on it I’m going to claim that I did it on purpose. :naughty:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWp6t4tBcU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWp6t4tBcU</a>

All done working inside these throws.  Only outside work remaining to complete. :pinkelephant:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:22:44 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 01:16:15 AM »
Take a divot out of the part from a moments in attention!?    Naaw   I've never done that!!!! :embarassed: ::) :hammerbash: :zap: :Mad:

Looks good from here Craig!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30:32 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »
Dave and Pete; thanks for your input.  Thanks to those following along too.

It was a PLEASURE to be working outside the crankshaft throws today.  First order of business was to mill off these two bosses I machined into the stock to assist milling the crankshaft throws.  Don’t need them anymore and in fact, they’re in the way now.

This is the last time I’ll be locating the work piece in the 4-jaw chuck and laboriously centering it.

With the piece centered, I’m turning a round end to grip with the 3-jaw chuck.  I’ll be working the piece on it’s true center from now forward.

With an appropriate fixture turned to accept the 3-jaw chuck, I’ve removed lots of excess material.  I have to say, the piece, after nearly a week of work, looks like it’s ready for the scrap bin.  Let’s hope that changes in the next few days.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:26:21 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 12:15:31 AM »
Quite a lot of work so far, great job!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 03:22:18 AM »
While crankshafts look relatively simple there's a lot of careful setup and whittling to finish them. Just take your time and you'll get there.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
Chris & George, thanks for your remarks.

George: I’ll agree, and I’m only making a two throw crank; I can’t imagine the care and concentration to make one with eight or more throws as you (and others here) have done.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this crankshaft now.  Mounted between centers (those center holes I drilled so long ago ;)), I’m starting to whittle on an outside throw side.

With the outside throw side roughed out, I’m working one side of the shaft down.

Here I have the first shaft nearly complete.  I leave the first shaft a little over size, turn the other, then come back and finish this first one.  Maybe overkill, but I don’t want a little material movement while I’m removing lots of material on the other shaft side to shift this side out of alignment.

After turning the piece around in the lathe, I’m repeating the procedure on this final side.  Here, again, I’m roughing in the outside throw side.

With the outside throw side roughed in, I’m starting to work down this shaft side toward the final diameter.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:30:19 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »
Coming along nicely Craig!

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 10:25:24 PM »
Yeah that is starting to clean up nice!!!

Terrifying at times isn't it..... :paranoia:
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:26 PM »
Looks good to me Craig!! That thing is good sized too.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2019, 12:22:03 AM »

You betcha !  :o

The other thing I haven’t mentioned yet is the way you get to practice your dance moves ;)

With that semi-square piece in the lathe, turning at around 200 RPM, there are over 13 red hot little curls of metal springing off the work piece each second.  The probability is low, but there are so many of them that occasionally mere quantity overcomes low probability and one of those red hot lathe tailings arcs up through the air and lands on your collar or the opening in your shirt  :naughty:, then finds its way down inside your shirt  :o.

As I said above, an opportunity to practice your dance moves. :embarassed: :mischief: :naughty:
Craig

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »

You betcha !  :o

The other thing I haven’t mentioned yet is the way you get to practice your dance moves ;)

With that semi-square piece in the lathe, turning at around 200 RPM, there are over 13 red hot little curls of metal springing off the work piece each second.  The probability is low, but there are so many of them that occasionally mere quantity overcomes low probability and one of those red hot lathe tailings arcs up through the air and lands on your collar or the opening in your shirt  :naughty:, then finds its way down inside your shirt  :o.

As I said above, an opportunity to practice your dance moves. :embarassed: :mischief: :naughty:

Ahyup! 8)
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2019, 01:05:56 AM »
I have an old arc welding helmet with the dark lens removed, only the clear lens left in it. Whenever I get into those red hot flying chip jobs I put it on. Looks silly as hell, but once you've had a red hot chip go down your shirt collar and set your chest hairs on fire it doesn't seem silly at all!!!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2019, 01:51:34 AM »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
Thanks for those of you hanging in with me on this build, especially with this crankshaft fabrication; it was a long slog… but completed today (well, not really, I still need to cut the key ways)

Today was spent turning the two shafts down to their finished diameters.  I took my time with light cuts and probably made more passes than I needed, but after all that work I really didn’t want to mess up here at the end.

And so, after cutting away a few pieces that were left over from the way in which I fabricated this crankshaft, and after filing and polishing away the tool marks, I give you a picture of the completed part.

Of course, the “proof in the pudding” is to install the thing and see if it fits, and turns freely with no binding.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMf-lE_2Qw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMf-lE_2Qw</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:34:40 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal