Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 31061 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
I like gluing in supports between the webs im not machining to keep the crank from flexing.

You just wave a torch at it later on and the cyano lets go.  Clean up with Acetone.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
I like gluing in supports between the webs im not machining to keep the crank from flexing.

You just wave a torch at it later on and the cyano lets go.  Clean up with Acetone.

Dave
Superglue will hold the packing rods well enough to handle spinning on the lathe?

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »

Dave
Superglue will hold the packing rods well enough to handle spinning on the lathe?

Yup!!!   Think about it, when it's between centers, the lathe is squeezing on the packing.   the glue just keeps it there.  I size the packing pieces and cut them from bar stock and face to length.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:08 AM »
Craig,
You're making good progress. Some great ideas guys, I think I'll file them away. I think when I made the Upshur I ground a 3/8 nut to fit and let the center's pressure hold it together. Val was an overhung crank.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 03:30:40 AM »
Dang, that's lookin' real nice! Tell that ol' leg to take a break so you can get in more shop time!

:DrinkPint:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 03:38:27 AM »

Dave

Yup!!!   Think about it, when it's between centers, the lathe is squeezing on the packing.   the glue just keeps it there.  I size the packing pieces and cut them from bar stock and face to length.

Dave
Ah, good point! Physics works!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:42 AM »
Dave, Chris, Art, Pete; thanks for your comments.  I’ll give you another option that I use for temporarily fastening the support between the throw webs for support… hot glue.  I’ve used it numerous times, easy to install and cleanup is a breeze.

UPS usually delivers to residences in my neighborhood at dark-30 but today the UPS delivery showed up mid-afternoon, so I got some work in after all.  That probably was as well because tomorrow is supposed to be C…..O…..L…..D and there probably won’t be any shop time.

After grinding this ½ inch shank down to 3/8th inch I got busy finishing the throw.  Didn’t take any pictures, so after I was all done, I caught-up with the photos, you’ll get the idea.

Cleaning up the left (center) throw

Cleaning up the right throw

Working down to the final diameter

A little final sanding to remove a few tool marks

Next I’ll move on to the left-hand throw.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:13:33 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 01:40:39 AM »
Looks awesome!!   Thanks for the tip   ill try that next time.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 01:46:43 AM »
Very well done, that is quite a big part!

:popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »
Dave, Chris; thanks for stopping by.  It is a large piece to be swinging in the lathe.  I’ll be glad when I have these throws complete and I can be working outside instead of inside the throws.  One little lapse of concentration and have the throw come around and strike the tooling and UGLY things will happen. :hammerbash:

I braved the cold North Carolina weather (yea- you guys in Canada are laughing yourself silly now :lolb:) and worked on the other throw.   It was pretty much the same procedure.

Here I’m milling out between the throw shoulders (stuck to the way I did the first one- if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it)

Finishing up on the mill

And the lathe work

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:16:20 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
Coming along well Craig!! Yes the temps were rather cool today. The shop heat pump is sure helping though.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Looking great Craig....going to single digits F here tonight...without the wind chill

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:55 PM »
Machining crankshafts makes your old heart go "pitter-patter", doesn't it!!! It was -28 C here today with the wind-chill. I had to go out and buy a new electric drill and get a different intake valve spring, and it certainly wasn't bikini weather.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:04 AM »
Machining crankshafts makes your old heart go "pitter-patter", doesn't it!!! It was -28 C here today with the wind-chill. I had to go out and buy a new electric drill and get a different intake valve spring, and it certainly wasn't bikini weather.

8)
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 02:56:39 AM »
Craig,
I have to ask, how far out is that lathe tool sticking out. It looks to be about 2 inches. The one lathe tool I have for that sort of thing I used on the cooling fins on Val, I needed .720 depth of cut to clear the corners of the cylinder, clears the tool by .03". A friend used the wire EDM to cut it .5 tall .25 wide blank. I should design on with radiused corners relieved in the center, for turning crank throws. Then when he has time on the machine he can make me a new one to use on a crankshaft.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal