Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 30989 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »
You might want to consider locating the second gear on a toolmakers button, and then use that button to locate the gear.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 10:56:28 PM »
Pete, Maury, Bill, Dave, Jo, Roger, Steamer; thanks for your comments, thoughts, commiserations, etc.  Again, thanks for those silently stopping by to share in my plight.

Errors overcome and placed behind me :ThumbsUp: I sallied forth with the build. First on the agenda was making extra room on the base and under the journal cap for the crankshaft gears.  The plans recommend a fly cutter; didn’t have one (at least of an adequate size) so here was another opportunity to make some home-grown tooling, the results of which you see below.

This is the setup I used to cut the relief for the crankshaft gears.

The results after several passes

The tops of the rectangular boss on these journal caps are cut away to form oil pockets, but first I planed off the top of the cap.  A hinged brass cap will eventually be fitted.

The pockets were then formed using a 3/16th inch end mill.

Then oil holes were drilled, allowing oil to pass through the cap into the bearing and gear area.

I’m not yet done with these caps.  I’ll need to drill a hole in the top of the circular boss for the vertical side shaft and I’ll also need to provide relief for the gearing.  To do this I’ll first need to have the crankshaft.

With this in mind, I started thinking about fabricating the crankshaft.   The drawings show this as seven parts, pinned and then silver soldered together.  I’m going to attempt a one piece crankshaft.  I’ve made several one piece, single throw crankshafts with past projects, how much more difficult can a two throw crankshaft be? :ROFL:

Here I’m getting my thoughts together regarding layout; I hope my thoughts are clearer than this photo. :stickpoke:

I’m going to remove most of the material on the mill since that will be faster (and less nerve wracking when working between the throw centers on the lathe). Here I’m locating center for one of the throws.

I’m just removing stock, getting ready to move to the lathe.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:58:22 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
You are really moving along Craig. Making good use of the right angle attachment too. Still following along.

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 12:11:29 AM »
Great progress Craig!  :popcorn:
The right angle head sure comes in handy.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 03:11:54 AM »
Craig,
Thanks for sharing your difficulties with the castings. It helps us who have castings be aware of things to look out for that we don't have to think about with bar stock. Granted it's a hard lesson but I must admit you came up with a great save.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 07:23:35 AM »
I'm following along.

Any reason you did not add the ctr drilled holes for the two throws at the same time as drilling the main one or will you be holding it off centre in a fixture rather than between ctrs?

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »
Bill, Yogi, Art, Jason; thanks for your comments and for stopping by.

Jason- I’ll get to your question presently.

I acquired the right angle attachment shortly after I got my Bridgeport mill about five years ago; originally for some work with building my Otto Langen atmospheric engine.  Since then I’ve found it handy on numerous occasions when something is too long to mill in the conventional way.

I mounted this piece of steel on the four-jaw chuck and in the live center in the tail stock; then squared it to the ways with an indicator mounted to the crosshead on the carriage.

Then I formed a cylinder at the tailstock.  I’ll use this in a later step when I mount the piece on the mill.

Turning the piece around I mounted and squared it in the lathe in the same manner as above, I formed a like cylinder on the other end.  Both these cylinders are sacrificial and will only be used in the fabrication process.

Jason- now I’m placing the centers in both ends of the work piece.  Had I done this previously I’d have just milled them off on the lathe in the previous steps.

In this photo, the center hole in the middle will be in the center of one of the crankshaft shafts; the center on the top and bottom are center of throws and will be used during fabrication of the throws and then milled away.

Just showing the other end of the piece where I had, prior to the photo above, located the same centers for the same purposes.

I’m using a 1 inch by 4 inch piece of steel.  The crankshaft across the throws is a little under three inches in width.  I wanted a three inch piece of steel but my metal supplier only has this four inch piece so that’s what I bought.  I was originally planning on cutting away all the scrap as two larger pieces but I found that this piece of steel, with the crankshaft being off center was beginning to confuse me; so before I made some colossal error I thought I’d just remove the one side.

I have a cutoff saw, but not a band saw.  I didn’t want to mill one inch away and kill a perfectly good end mill in the process so I chose the nibble approach; besides it gave my trusty old mill drill something to do.  Ever since I got the Bridgeport it tends to just sit in the corner with nothing to do.

Might as well mill of the jagged end.

So here we are so far.  Tomorrow I’ll be centering this piece on the mill between a center and my indexing head and begin roughing out the crankshaft throws.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:05:22 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 04:04:58 AM »
Craig,
I'm a silent follower, I'm enjoying your build and thanks for posting your progress.
I bought these prints awhile ago.......maybe someday.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
Thanks again for your comments and for those silently stopping by.

I started on one of the cutouts for the crankshaft throws today.  This is the setup I used.

I hadn’t made but one or two passes when I noticed that the piece was rotating in the chuck.  I added the right angle plate to give the work piece some vertical stability.

Several hours later, I’ve pretty much roughed in the first throw.  I’ll finish on the lathe next.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:08:41 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
Craig--When I do that I just drill a hole about 0.030" less than the finished width of the slot, and cut most of the meat out with my bandsaw, then finish up with my lathe. As I was typing this I remembered you saying yesterday that you don't have a bandsaw. Oh well, I'm watching.---Brian

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 07:19:43 AM »
You could still stitch drill most of that waste out of the slot and probably also quicker to do most of the milling with it horizontal.

I see the reason for the boss now though as you have found a bit small for the leverage involved.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
I’m still following along and trying to become less silent  8). That looks to be a pretty long shaft also. What’s the dimensions on it Craig?

Cletus

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »
I have found that when cutting crankshafts from flat bar a hacksaw with a good blade and chain drillings is quicker than turning or milling.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 09:26:34 PM »
Brian:  :facepalm:

Jason: I think I'll go your route with the next throw, it took forever to mill the throw out.

Cletus: Always happy to hear from you

Roger:  I think you and Jason have convinced me

Much to my chagrin today, I found that my current lathe tooling isn't long enough to reach all the way down into the crankshaft throw.  Fortunately the tool holder on my lathe can accept 1/2 inch tooling which I can get in 4 inch lengths so I ordered some.  Looks like I'll be taking a  brief break from this project till the tooling arrives.
Craig

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:23 PM »
Hey Craig...any way that makes the part is the right way....just go slow and think about what you're doing...it'll be fine

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal