Author Topic: building the Frisco Standard Model  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: building the Frisco Standard Model
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2019, 12:30:58 AM »
Great looking engine Craig & nice work!
 Looking forward to seeing & hearing this run.

John

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh,NC. USA
    • Lauson small engines
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »
Not exactly working on the model, but we had some family fun at the spring train run this year.  We had a pretty weekend; only marred by the potential rain on Friday, but I wisely called the boiler inspector and asked if he preferred to inspect boilers on a sunny Thursday instead of a rainy Friday and he made arrangements.

Here you see Joe Scales, running his USRA Mikado.  Anyone on the east coast who is involved with live steam probably knows Joe and will agree with me that Joe is a unique character and a real likeable guy.

A photo of Ron and his (actually his wife Debís) Atlantic.

This was my grandson Owenís first train run.  At 15 months everyone told me that when the whistles blew and the safetys lifted he would scream his head off and want no part of it.  They were wrong; it didnít faze him a bit, but then he has a lot of railroading in his blood.  Here he is with my daughter, perched on grandadís locomotive for the obligatory fist R/R picture.

Riding in the coach.  "Bye Mom and Dad; see you at the station".

My son in law Ben at the throttle of my consist with me riding behind.  The injectors can be a bit finicky and without a lot of experience they can be problematic so I usually ride along.  Just like the full size, you donít want the boiler water to fall below the bottom of the water glass.

I gotta post one picture of yours truly at the controls.  I have to say that as I get older; spending a lot of time on this thing gets less and less appealing.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:42:43 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2019, 07:49:20 PM »

Hello Craig,

Great photo of Owen, lucky little guy.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh,NC. USA
    • Lauson small engines
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »
Dave, Brian, Thomas, John; thanks for your comments.  Thanks also to those silently following along.

Progress continues with this model.  I have it together now where it should run.  I havenít built the water tank, plumbed up the water, or built the water pump yet; but for short runs it ought to be ok without coolant.

I just ordered enough brass tubing to make the water tank and fuel tank, it should show up today.  Has anybody priced brass tubing latelyÖ yikes :o- it was sticker shock.  Iím REALLY gonna be bummed if I canít get this thing to run (yea, I shouldnít tempt the gods by even mentioning it) :embarassed:.

I havenít really tried to start it yet; I have verified that the valves are timed properly and Iíve discerned that the igniters are operating correctly so it ought to go.  The reason I havenít tried to start it yet is that it has little no compression.  There are lots of opportunities for compression to leak out and when I turn the engine over I can hear the compression leaking away with a hiss around the head area.  I'll need to locate where this is and correct it before I can expect the model to run.  It might take a while soÖ meanwhile. Iíll tantalize yíall with a few current pictures. :mischief: 

Craig

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2019, 08:16:46 PM »
Craig--That is indeed a thing of beauty. If you are trying to determine exactly where your compression is leaking, take the guts out of a sparkplug and braze a bit of tubing onto the exposed end to hook an airline to. At 15 to 20 psi, you will be able to isolate the leaking feature.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh,NC. USA
    • Lauson small engines
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2019, 10:21:12 PM »
It's igniter ignition so no spark plug socket, but if push comes to shove I've thought of drilling in a threaded hole for a fake primer cup and then using that.
Craig

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2019, 07:51:07 AM »
Looks excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: I hope you find your compression leak and it is easy to fix. How are the ignitors fed? Through some sort of spark coil?

Is that a 7 1/4" railway system?
Best regards

Roger