Author Topic: Bought a new machine yesterday---  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Bought a new machine yesterday---
« on: December 18, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »
This is a new oscillating sander that I bought yesterday. The spindle not only revolves, it travels up and down in a linear motion. I have never had much luck getting smooth inside corners on my aluminum fabrication work for small engines. I have tried filing, wrapping sandpaper around a dowel, even sanding drums mounted in my milling machine, but non of it gave really great results. This machine comes with five different size arbors, from 1/4" up to and including 2" diameter. Hopefully, this is going to improve the quality of some of my work. It was on sale for $160 off the regular price, so I dug deep into the Rupnow fortune and bought it.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4eISjyjwO4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4eISjyjwO4</a>

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Bought a new machine yesterday---
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
Hello Brian,

I do not own one of those sanders but I have used one of my friends and it does a beautiful job, you will enjoy it.

Have a great holiday,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Should help a lot - the vertical motion of the drum reduces the tendancy to get grooves in the work, dont have one but used one back in school shop many moons ago.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
I have often wondered how those will work for modeling work Brian. Please keep us posted on the results.

Bill

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
Now You get to make an adapter to do square corners. :Lol:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
 Someone asked me to let them know how well this oscillating sander worked on model engine stuff. I tried it today for the first time, on the interior curve of what is going to be the base for a rocker arm support. It works great. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it does a fine job. I used my band-saw to remove the majority of the metal, but for the cleanup I used my new sander.---Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:29:39 PM »
That is a very nice finish there Brian!!

BIll

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
Looks great!  For outside and larger inside edges, looks like it could be a replacement for a die filer.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 12:32:14 AM »
Brian,
That looks like quite a handy tool. I would consider it if I didn't have a die filer available.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
Finally I took a break from working on my sideshaft engine and built a stand/cabinet for the oscillating sander which has been setting on the floor of my office ever since I bought it. Half a sheet of 3/4" plywood and half a days work. I had a heck of a time deciding where to put it. There is no more room in my tiny machine shop and it's fourty below out in the main garage. I discovered that bit of space between a rack of shelves that has filled up with toys and the door into my machine shop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal