Author Topic: Junkers CLM  (Read 15303 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Junkers CLM
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
I have given this a bit more thought. The basic dimensions will be taken fron my horizontal diesel, the short connecting rod will be identical but the long pull rods are in tension so all the firing load is on the big end bolts. I did some stress calculations for the horizontal engine which gave a good safety margin with M3 bolts but I think these will have to be increased to M4. As the stroke is shorter the additional width of the bearing won't require a bigger crankcase. As the rods are in tension buckling won't be a problem so I think they can be reduced to 8mm diameter. The big ends will be reduced to 10mm wide to keep the crankshaft as short as possible.
I had a dig through my material stocks and have a cylinder block, cylinder liner, crankshaft and pistons.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »
Roger,
Here is another OP diesel engine design from Achates Power currently in a joint research project with Cummins Engine Co. for development of combat vehicle engines for the US Army. It is a compact engine following more contemporary engine package design features. It does use a blower for scavenging which might complicate a smaller model engine design. Watch their video.
Jeff

http://achatespower.com/our-formula/opposed-piston/

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 05:35:43 PM »
Thank you Jeff  :ThumbsUp:  There seem to have been many attempts at opposed piston engines but they have only been successful in larger sizes  :(

I am slowly working through the design. I now understand the square scavenge piston  :) It is so the ends of the pull rods for the top piston can go into the scavenge cylinder and reduce the height of the engine (and the piston).

The next step is to work out a governor design. It is mounted on a vertical shaft in the front part of the crankcase driven by a pair of helical gears. The principle is similar to the one I was experimenting with for the horizontal diesel:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5545.195.html

In this case the bottom plate is mounted on a bearing and the balls are driven by a spider keyed to the shaft. A PDF of the principle is attached. I think I will have to make a trial version. The shaft is 6mm diameter and the overall diameter is 32mm with 6 6mm diameter balls.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
As I continue with the drawings the governor is a key part of the front of the crankcase so time for experiments  :)

I decided to make the drive spider from Delrin and the thrust plate and cone will be steel (case hardened if it works  ::) ) The basic form was turned and the keyway cut. As it was Delrin it just needed finger pressure on the broach  :) The blank was mounted on a short length of 6mm rod with a key slot and put in my Proxxon RT. I cut the slots with a 6mm 3 flute end mill in two steps.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
A quick check with some 6mm ball bearings and onto the cone. This and the thrust plate were turned from a length of 35mm free cutting steel. The thrust plate was polished before parting off. Next the cone was reversed in the 3 jaw chuck using a couple of parallels (6mm HSS tool blanks) to keep it in line with the face of the chuck.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »
The cone was then drilled 9.8mm and reamed 10mm. The cone itself was turned using my little top slide. I used the body of a square to align the thrust plate at the front of the chuck so it could be faced and then moved it back for drilling and boring.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »
And due to the 8 picture limit
Best regards

Roger

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
That’s an ingenious, compact design, Roger.  It will be interesting to see how it performs, and how much force it can produce on the levers.  I assume the top cone also spins so the balls only move in and out?

Still following and enjoying.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »
In this version the top cone is fixed so it is it's own thrust bearing. The thrust plate will rotate at twice the shaft speed. I tried a couple of other variants in my diesel thread. This design is the same as was used on the full size version of the engine.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »
The bronze bush was turned, pressed in place and reamed again. The sleeve was made from 8mm silver steel, hardened and polished. I made a trial shaft from 6mm silver steel and cut a 2mm keyway to drive the spider.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37:05 AM »
I drilled and tapped an M3 hole in the side of the cone to be able to apply a load and assembled the system for a trial in the bench drill (it has a speed indicator). With the two springs I was using it would lift between 2000 and 2500 rpm depending on the preload (set by winding the table up and down).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLW0hDWwog" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLW0hDWwog</a>
Best regards

Roger

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
That works pretty well! :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2023, 03:35:17 PM »
As my diesel trials were not as successful as I hoped I moved away from this project. Now I have running diesel I have restarted. Along the way I have picked up various pieces of information and pictures of the engine components. There are a number of different variants with different configurations. Some appear to have round scavenge pistons, some have the inlet ports at the bottom and the exhaust at the top. Some have a closed transfer port system, others fill the complete crankcase.

I have decided to keep to my original prototype of the sectioned engine with the open inlet ports but with the bore reduced to 20mm to make machining easier with my lathe. Studying the other information I have collected and thinking about the design has shown me a number of things:

1) The scavenge piston is coupled to the shorter crank throw. This means that the area of the scavenge piston must be at least 2.5 times the area of a working piston. This fits fairly well with the scavenge cylinder fitting around the pull rods for the top piston.

2) The slots for the top piston yoke are carried on below the inlet ports. This allows the length of the piston and the total height of the engine to be reduced. This is visible in the cutaway picture.

3) The forces are not insignificant. The 40 bar compression pressure of my horizontal diesel gives a load per piston of 125kg. If the combustion pressure is 80 bar that is 250kg per piston. The bottom connecting rod is based on the horizontal engine so that will be ok but the design of the pull rods will need some calculation. The rods themselves are in tension so will be free from buckling problems but the loads on the top bearings and the big end bolts may be a problem.

4) Some versions have a float chamber feeding the injection pump but I don’t understand what this is for.
Best regards

Roger

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2023, 04:13:43 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2023, 06:29:40 PM »
I still have just found some tech info on this engine type :
https://www.thesahb.com/technical-talk-3-1929-junkers-diesel-engine-for-cars/

So I'm finally wise to how the Intake / Transfer took place - see middle of page + text.

I find your example of the Injection pump peculiar Roger .... It appears to have both an adjustment for the stoke, by moving the roller hinge sideways + the modern turning the piston to change the inlet port height too  :headscratch:
Oh and no - I can't explain the float very well either Roger - but I'm glad to see you back on this one again  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal