Author Topic: Squint Scale Curtiss Model K Aero I4  (Read 16174 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Squint Scale Curtiss Model K Aero I4
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2024, 04:23:10 AM »
You're really moving on with this engine, Ron.  It is looking good! Seems like you're getting close to giving it a spin?  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2024, 02:36:12 PM »
Thanks Kim! Yes, the list of to do items is getting short. The gearing between the crank and camshaft will be the last major mechanical component, then ignition, carburation, and one or two other cosmetic items to sort out. But some more upcoming family time ( :ThumbsUp:) means that the list will take a bit longer to get through.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2024, 03:19:01 PM »
But some more upcoming family time ( :ThumbsUp:) means that the list will take a bit longer to get through.

Yeah, I certainly understand that!  Enjoy the family!  That's what its all about.  This other stuff is just some added bonus fun along the way  ^-^

Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2024, 07:17:32 PM »
Looking great, Ron.  I'm assuming the copper tube never gets that hot (short runs only?) so that JB Weld and shrink tube will hold up?   :popcorn:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2024, 01:40:55 AM »
Thanks Bent. The change of plan (the brass fixing bits) means that the JB Weld is no longer needed. But I do think it would have been OK, given expected usage, i.e., yes, probably short runs, and the positioning near the bottom of the cylinder. As far as the shrink tubing goes, I'll find out when I get there. The worst that can happen is that it shrinks up tight and is hard to take apart, in which case I can cut it. The way it stands now, I can easily remove both "coolant pipes" for running if desired. The engine is actually air-cooled, and either a prop or a fan will probably be used to help with that. I had ideas for making the coolant loop functional, but at this size it looked like it would be more trouble than it was worth.
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal