Author Topic: Quarry Bank Mill Engine  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: Quarry Bank Mill Engine
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »

Dave

I should have thought to get some pictures but at the time, I was too absorbed by the problem and too aware of the consequence of failure to pick up a camera.  The hole has not been reamed and was used help in holding.  One of the concerns was keeping the cap registry while the sides we milled to thickness.  The bolts are not enough and I don't trust superglue under the impact of milling so I clamped down on a slug of 3/8" rod.  The rod was also used as a pivot to get the top radius. The bore will have brass or bronze bushings which will be reamed in place.

Jerry

There are thing that you can do and some things you can't do.
Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Quarry Bank Mill Engine
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 12:23:20 PM »

Dave

I should have thought to get some pictures but at the time, I was too absorbed by the problem and too aware of the consequence of failure to pick up a camera.  The hole has not been reamed and was used help in holding.  One of the concerns was keeping the cap registry while the sides we milled to thickness.  The bolts are not enough and I don't trust superglue under the impact of milling so I clamped down on a slug of 3/8" rod.  The rod was also used as a pivot to get the top radius. The bore will have brass or bronze bushings which will be reamed in place.

Jerry

Sounds good Jerry!    Yeah I get the "pucker moment can't take a picture right now ....glad I'm not the only one.     It's coming along great!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!