Author Topic: 3D printed Ford Flathead V8  (Read 14075 times)

Offline AOG

3D printed Ford Flathead V8
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:55:54 AM »
I have been playing around with 3D printers for about a year now. I have everything dialed in and I’m ready to start a real project. I was browsing Thingiverse and I saw this.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2537602

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUQLCHZcgg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUQLCHZcgg</a>

I thought that this would be a great engine project for my 3D printers. The intent is that this will be a side project to work on when I’m held up on my primary project. As far as I know this will be the first additive machining build log on this site so I am kind of figuring out what that means as I go along. Any feedback on what you would like to see as part of a 3D printed project build log would be appreciated. Now let’s get started. Since the model build’s up like a real engine, the first thing I need is an engine stand to build it up on. I decided to make this one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2225638

It was designed by the same guy who designed the engine but it might be useful for anyone building a model engine. The first thing I did is to order the parts kit for the stand. It came with all of the hardware and the lengths of tube precut. Next I printed all of the remaining parts.

The parts were printed with a .2 layer height with a 25 % infill. I had 5 top and bottom layers and 3 outside layers. Included in the printed parts were a set of drilling jigs. I used the jigs to center pop the required holes.

Then I drilled all of the holes in the aluminum tubes.

I also drilled out the template that matches the hole pattern for my specific block.

Last I drilled out the holes in the fingers.

I deburred the holes and assembled the basic frame.

Most of the parts were screwed to the tubes but I did have some issues with layer separation in a few places (mostly from over tightening the fasteners ). I closed up the separations and glued in the remaining supports with CA glue. Hopefully that will hold. Next up was to build the spindle head assembly on top of the vertical.

Then I assembled the flange assembly.

With the flange assembly built I installed it into the spindle.

The wheels were installed leaving us with this completed engine stand.

Next time I’ll get started on the engine itself. Please let me know if this format is working for this type of build log and or what you think I should do differently.

Till next time.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Moxis

Re: 3D printed Ford Flathead V8
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »
Very interesting project. I have been interested for a long time about those 3d printers and am very near to place my order for one of them. Could you explain which printer you use and why did you choose that one?

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:50 AM »
Hello Toni,

That is a great project to start and the engine stand is really neat.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
Very good Tony.

Since this is a first here - please document all mishaps too, as these will be very informative to the rest of us.

I expect a bit of money from my father in januar and a 3D printer is on the list so far - or put it another way, some spend on restoring one of my motorcycles and the rest on tools is the plan so far. So I'm rather interested in real experiences and not people printing animals etc.

Will definitely follow this thread.  :cheers:    :popcorn:

Best wishes

Per

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
Watching with interest  :popcorn:

Offline AOG

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have three printers of which only 2 are good enough for this project. For big parts like the block and pan I will be using my Creality CR-10. For parts that require good precision I will be using my Flashforge Creator Pro.

Tony

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
I have been wondering about that model now for a little while, was almost tempted to print out parts to cast it in aluminum.

3d printers are nice toy to have, I have a decent beginner one, Anycubic i3 mega.
I have had it running pretty well non stop now for months. 95% of the time it is printing George Britnell's fordillac V8, and molds to cast it. it is turning out to be quite the learning experience.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »
Add a set of Ardun heads to that an you've got yourself a real contender.

Don

Offline AOG

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
The block finished printing today so it’s time for an update. The block was printed in PLA with a .2 layer height and support touching the bed. For the purposes of strength and material depth for lapping, I used 5 layers on the top, bottom and perimeter and 25 % infill. I used my larger CR-10 to print the block because of it’s size. My CR-10 is not the fastest thing on the planet but it is capable of doing a decent job on large parts. Print time was 7 days and 16 hours. That’s the longest 3D print I have ever made. I don’t have a camera on that printer so I couldn’t do a proper time lapse. What I have instead is some progress pictures taken during the print processes. First the screwup. This is what happens when your boden tube comes loose from your extruder.

Thankfully that was at the beginning of the print.  Now for the sudo time lapse.

After day 2.

After day 3

After day 4

Day 5

Day 6

The start of day 7

Completed on the printer

Cleaned up block.

The next step will be to install all of the magnets and inserts into the block and get it mounted to the engine stand. That will be next update.

Sooo how am I doing? Is this the kind of things you want to see in relation to a 3D print log? Feedback always welcome.

Till next time

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
Great work! It looks like you added a few more features than what I had on the drawings.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline AOG

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »
Great work! It looks like you added a few more features than what I had on the drawings.
gbritnell

Thanks, much as I would like to pretend that I had the skill to do that, I can’t. This block is from thingiverse. It’s specially designed for 3D printing. You can find the details here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2537602

Tony

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 08:30:27 PM »
Hello Tony,

That is far out to see the block come together that way. Thanks for sharing those photos.

Have a great holiday,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:59 PM »
Nice print, Quality looks pretty good for all the overhangs and details  :D

Seeing your picture of the feeder tube and filament all over reminds me all too well of that painful moment of discovering it in that state near the end of a print.
Still painful at the start but much less rage.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Certainly following along and as George I thought more details than I remembered  :thinking:

So far I haven't seen enough say how much we I need to see, but your build will be a part of "first reference"  :ThumbsUp:

toolznthings

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »
Amazing !  :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal