Author Topic: Stocking up for next year  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Stocking up for next year
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:01:59 PM »
I received my re-stocking order of cast iron and bronze from RCM today. Brass, steel and aluminium are quite easy to find here but bronze and CI seem more of a problem  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Stocking up for next year
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
Nice looking material, Roger.  Complete with that 'special coating' Jo loves so  :Lol:

Did it come with the fly wheel too? Or is that just to hold the cardboard down while you're taking the picture?

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
 :embarassed:

Roger if you are passing by on the way to see the family over Xmas please feel free to drop in with a shopping list of bits of stuff you need. I have a lot of HE30 bar stock if you need some and a few sticks of CI  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
Nice one Roger, what are you intending to build ?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
I decided to order a 125mm 'Flying Wheel' as well as some 0.5mm and 0.8mm center drills. When I import stuff into Switzerland from Europe there is a fixed charge plus 8% VAT so it makes sense to build up a fairly big order.

Jo, as most of my surviving family now lives in the next village trips back to the UK are somewhat rare but thanks for the offer.

The small bronze is for the valves guides for the twin cylinder engine. I don't like turning 13mm RG7 down to 8mm or less, it seems a waste.

I have a list of engines  want to try and make. The Junkers opposed piston diesel will have to wait until I have got the simple diesel running. I don't think I have sufficient skill yet for the Hesselmann Hulseboros 5 cylinder axial piston engine so next will be the Saurer opposed piston four stroke with kerosene (paraffin, petroleum) injection and hot tube ignition. This will require a few trials on the horizontal engine first.
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Always nice to get the raw material bins stocked up. Now you just have to imagine what is inside each piece, waiting to be revealed :)

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
The Junkers opposed piston diesel will have to wait until I have got the simple diesel running.

This is a very ambitious project  :o  .... but I'm very interested, as it's a historical important engine, technically interesting and inspiration to lots of following engines, including the absolutely latest "green" IC projects from some of the big ones ....  :praise2:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:59:19 AM »
Roger,
Don't believe in simple uncomplicated engines do you.  :lolb: Cant wait to see that axial run.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 05:28:30 PM »
Thank you all  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I like to really understand how things work so always challenge myself. I think I can workout how to make the Junkers once I have got the fuel injection sorted. Machine the ports in the liner to get some swirl will be interesting, but possible. I have pictures of sectioned engines plus a parts manual to help (this is talking about the small engine produced by CLM for road transport rather than the big aero engines, too many cylinders for a start  ::) )

The axial engine needs some special bevel gears to guide the wobble plate (probably have to be home made  :headscratch: ) plus the 'big ends' to be resolved. The full size version seemed to use oil pressure to control the clearance to the wobble plate.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal