Author Topic: Evil Grinders  (Read 9591 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Evil Grinders
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:06:07 AM »
Figured I would share a simple grinder story that certainly learned me a lesson after the second incident with a different grinder.
It took me two tries to learn. (sadly)

Grinder Round 1

Its been about 2 years now since the first incident, I was building a jeep for the children (mostly myself), Similar to the one in my picture, only not pink.
My father handed me a paddle switch grinder which I rest on my leg as I squatted there inspecting and planning out my attack on some steel tubing of the frame. (grinder wasn't plugged in when it was handed to me might I add). next thing I know there was a "ZING" and a mild sting. My father decided to plug it in for me. figuring it was just a little boo boo requiring a boo boo sticker, we went into the house to inspect it, turns out there was a nice little hole in my leg above my knee. Just required 4 threads from the people vet to get it all back in order.

As it turns out, the "safety" bits on this specific grinder have been removed or broken.
There are a few pictures of it before and after the threads, but I decided to not post them as they might ruin the amusement of my story =P

Grinder Round 2

This time being early this year in my own garage, with my own grinder and no one "helping" me learn a lesson.
I was using a switch style grinder that happens to stay on until you manually turn it off. As I was grinding some edges on some more tubing (Pink jeep this time)
I took a step to get a better angle on it and as I did so I stepped on the cord, pulling it out of my hands and straight down and into my other leg. where it proceeded to get all wrapped up in my pants.
This time, I was a bit more lucky. it did not grind up my leg, and it did not get me during the moment of "not again" panic that set in. it stalled out and let me turn it off and proceed with my inspection of the attack.

I now have a dewalt cordless grinder with the safety mechanism on the paddle switch.
It has not bitten me as of yet.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Evil Grinders
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:10:05 AM »
Maybe we can send you some files to use instead!  Really lucky on both of those, glad you are okay!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:55:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing these stories which are good reminders to all of us. Luckily the outcomes weren't as bad as they could have been, especially the second one.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »
I've used portable grinders since we had wood burning cats. Used to be a weldor and I can't recon the hours spent with the damn things.

But I'll tell you, as I get older I find I really have to keep watch because of 'familarity' and I'm weaker now. I love angle grinders but I have a huge respect for them! One of those get loose and you have a new orifice in your body!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
Pete--Pretty damned mean of you to be burning wood in your cats. My cats do much better on milk.---Brian

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
Better get that pink jeep done before it turns red.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing these stories which are good reminders to all of us. Luckily the outcomes weren't as bad as they could have been, especially the second one.

Bill

I think both were lucky, both could have been a lot worse.

Better get that pink jeep done before it turns red.

The Jeep is still pink. kid loves it too.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Any more pictures of the Jeep? What powers it, etc?

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
That's a priceless picture! I hope the officer gave her a ticket so she could frame it... :Love:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
Any more pictures of the Jeep? What powers it, etc?

Bill

I will post a new thread just about the jeep and my terrible welding.

That's a priceless picture! I hope the officer gave her a ticket so she could frame it... :Love:

Pete

We didn't get a ticket, just some sunglasses and some pictures.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »
We had an evil side grinder at work, like yours it had a switch that could be easily bumped to the on position when set down...is has since been excorsized.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
We had an evil side grinder at work, like yours it had a switch that could be easily bumped to the on position when set down...is has since been excorsized.

My grinder from work was what ultimately had me get the cordless dewalt, I use the same one at work from time to time.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 01:43:00 AM »
All my angle grinders have momentary switches... let go and it's off!  I wouldn't want to own the other kind.. :zap:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 03:26:06 AM »
All this talk about evil grinders makes me think of the lock out tag out video I had to watch when starting a previous job. Can't say I've ever had an incident with one of them. Cute the pink jeep, driver & cop.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
RE: Story One,

I have a whole lot of extra caution when there are "helpers" around. I make them promise to do EXACTLY EVERYTHING I tell them and NOTHING I don't tell them to do.  If they can't agree to this I tell them to find something else to do and come back later.

ShopShoe

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »
RE: Story One,

I have a whole lot of extra caution when there are "helpers" around. I make them promise to do EXACTLY EVERYTHING I tell them and NOTHING I don't tell them to do.  If they can't agree to this I tell them to find something else to do and come back later.

ShopShoe

That would be a good idea, but as far as the helper being my millwright father, it was just a chain of variables that led to that outcome, I knew he was going to plug it in, but I didn't know the switch was broken, he didn't know I had it on my leg with his objective being getting me the grinder and plugging it in.

In the end, lesson learned I suppose

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal