Author Topic: 1909 Mercedes Aero Engine  (Read 45685 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: 1909 Mercedes Aero Engine
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2019, 02:59:03 AM »
Steve,
Sorry to be jumping in here late but like Steve, I have some to add to the V12 Liberty engine. I'll throw some photos in, then talk.

This Photo was as Lou had the Garwood 33-50 in 2017 at the NAMES show.

These two photos were as he had the engine in 2013 at the NAMES show. At this time I remember talking with him and the struggles he had trying to accurately build this engine to scale. As I recall he resorted to using molded plastic for the outer water jacket because scaling it in metal left the wall thickness in the area of thousands of an inch. And as I recall the cam covers are very similar and are also molded in plastic. It is 1/6 scale and not meant to run, but the detail is phenomenal.
So are you going to model the Peerless engine or just make a new pair of pistons. :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »
These clips are one of the smallest connectors I have seen:

http://www.model-engine-ignition.com/home/spark-plugs-clips--wire/rimfire-r2l-spark-plug

Making your own versions should not be much of a problem however the pushrods may be  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Lars

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
Steve,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have been building my new winter cabin this summer and it took the overhand

Yes, I have glow ignition on my engine for now. My rational is to get it running well and then potentially put spark ignition in as a challenge. It is really tight to fit.

And actually - I have a runner !!

I made my first attempt on uploading a youtube video. Of course I had the camera 90 deg wrong when filming, I guess I am not an expert. Also never been on facebook or similar so I hope I did things right on the upload.

The link to my first really sucessful run is on the link below

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPkXC8fBV4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPkXC8fBV4</a>

I have found my engine is less sensetive then I thought wrt the mixture settings, I can get it to idle well and accelerate fairly ok without much trouble with my carb. I have found however that it is more sensetive to varying compression being cold/warm than I was expecting.

I have been trying out my cast iron rings and also viton o-rings. I also forgot how many times I have looked for leaks in the valves..when I accidentily mixed the valves (dropping the box on the floor after grinding them to the seats)  I never have been able to get them to seal perfectly

Anyway, it runs :)  and with your excellent build it won't be long until yours are up and running as well!

Thank you
Lars 

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »
Well done Lars! Magnificent! I only hope mine goes as well!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, Art. That engine really is a work of art in itself. There are some people out there who have the most unbelievable skills and I can only say that I am pleased that I have enough knowledge to understand how good it is. The aero engine in the background looks intriguing too!

I shall make two new pistons for the Peerless engine and then rebuild the whole thing along with the rest of the truck. That will keep me out of mischief for a few years whilst I contemplate the project after that, whatever it may be.

Thanks for the link Roger. I could probably file out something like that. Some experimentation is required, I think.

Steve  :)

Online sco

« Reply #259 on: August 22, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
Steve,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have been building my new winter cabin this summer and it took the overhand

Yes, I have glow ignition on my engine for now. My rational is to get it running well and then potentially put spark ignition in as a challenge. It is really tight to fit.

And actually - I have a runner !!

I made my first attempt on uploading a youtube video. Of course I had the camera 90 deg wrong when filming, I guess I am not an expert. Also never been on facebook or similar so I hope I did things right on the upload.

The link to my first really sucessful run is on the link below

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPkXC8fBV4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPkXC8fBV4</a>

I have found my engine is less sensetive then I thought wrt the mixture settings, I can get it to idle well and accelerate fairly ok without much trouble with my carb. I have found however that it is more sensetive to varying compression being cold/warm than I was expecting.

I have been trying out my cast iron rings and also viton o-rings. I also forgot how many times I have looked for leaks in the valves..when I accidentily mixed the valves (dropping the box on the floor after grinding them to the seats)  I never have been able to get them to seal perfectly

Anyway, it runs :)  and with your excellent build it won't be long until yours are up and running as well!

Thank you
Lars

Brilliant result Lars, that is a really nice runner and sounds terrific!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »
I have too many interests. I have just spent a wonderful few days playing with a Sentinel steam waggon, storming up and down the A5 to a rally and back. Tremendous fun but not helping engine progress!

I have been getting concerned that I might knock the engine over and do some damage so I have made up a display stand to keep it safe. Being a miserly type, when I last broke up some old furniture, I kep the drawer fronts which were mahogany. I found one in the garage and despite being well beaten up, it cleaned up nicely and was just the right size. You can't have too much 'stuff' in your shed!

Now I am on the home straight with the engine, I am making up the water pipes. First job was some new tooling for the pipe bender. Unfortunately, I had a moment when I got confused between centre line radius and external radius so the first tool is too big. Oh well. At least it will do for another day.

Just going out in the shed to bend some copper.

Steve   :)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »
Hi Steve

Nice draw fronts  :Jester: :Jester:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Yes, a well-seasoned piece of mahogany. It really is a nice piece of timber underneath the old paint and damage and it didn't cost me anything!

I have been pressing on with the water pipes, starting with the pipe bender. i didn't need to make a bullet support to stop it crushing this time.

Then a slot for the centre pipe.

I bent the centre pipe and then filed half away so that it sat on the main pipe for soldering.

After cleaning and pickling the return pipe assembly, I turned up a union for the pump. None of this is shown on the drawings so it was a case of making it up as I went.

Then onto the inlet pipe. This is a fiendish bit of bending as I had to rotate the water pump to miss the distributor so the outlet points the wrong way.

Stb pipe in place ready for soldering.

Soldered , dressed and polished.

And that is it, mechanically complete.

Just the ignition system to go now. There are drawings for the components but they are challenging!

Steve     :)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
Hello Steve,

It just gets better and better  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

What are you going to do about a radiator? There are some well made and inexpensive small radiators on -bay intended for liquid cooled PC's

What is the compression ratio? is it enough (8:1 ish) for you to consider methanol fuel and glow plugs, would be a lot simpler than petrol and sparks.

Regards

Mike

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
Nice pipework  :praise2:  :praise2: I have been through similar for the exhaust on my two cylinder engine. I have also made a couple of connectors for 1/4 32 spark plugs. Hopefully they will work  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2019, 09:29:23 PM »
Really looks great so far and you should be happy with the result.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2019, 03:51:39 AM »
Steve,
Sorry for the slow reply, life has gotten in the way. I went back and looked at the other photos from the 2013 NAMES show and yes you could say it is some sort of aero engine, it is a second Liberty set up with a prop where the one in the foreground is set up for the boat.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing them Art. They are wonderful pieces of work.

Mike. I don't think I shall trouble with a radiator. This is my display stand and how I intend to show it. When I run it, I shall knock up something just to hold it and probably use the classic bean tin to hold some water. It won't run for long or more than a few times before being relegated to 'paper-weight' status. I don't know the compression ratio but the two engines on Youtube and Lars' all run on glow plugs. I would like to use spark ignition for the challenge although I think keeping the sparks in the right place is going to be tough. The plug connections are very close to the push rods and, to look right, the HT leads need to be quite small in diameter. What sort of leads have you used on your engines? Standard HT lead is just too big.

Thanks Roger. Good luck with the connectors. I shall look forward to seeing them.

Thanks Per. Yes, I am pleased with the result and it makes a nice ornament. At least it is small enough to go on the book case and be admired!

I want to start on the contact breaker this morning.

Steve  :)

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2019, 12:11:44 PM »
Hello Steve

Recycled draw fronts and baked bean can water tanks,  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: I love it

For a good source of small diameter ignition leads have a look at 'silicon test leads for multimeters'. They will probably be rated 600v or 1000v but are well capable of containing the spark voltage of a model engine. You can trust test leads from RS and the like but I would be cautious of the low cost stuff on Evil-bay.

For a miniature connection to the spark plug, it is possible to use a piece of coil spring of the right diameter and wire thickness. I cut off half a dozen turns and straighten a short length which is pushed down the centre of the spark lead. If you twist and turn the spring in the right direction, it opens the coil slightly which lets you slip it over the plug end. Twisting the spring in the other direction closes the spring slightly thus locking it onto the plug.  Works for me, as they say, but you may need to dig into that box of odd springs we all keep and experiment.

One picture speaks a thousand words.

Mike

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
Thanks Mike. I hadn't come across either of those.

Cheers!

Steve   :zap:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal