Author Topic: Stuart ST Build  (Read 843 times)

Offline bwal

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 58
Stuart ST Build
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently making a Stuart St and encountered a small problem.

I've made part 7 Bottom Cylinder Cover, drilled the PCD according to the diagram and gone to match it up with the cylinder and it (at this stage) doesn't look like it will fit.

Please see the photo's. The diagram is 1:1 and what I've made is exact so I'm not sure if I'm missing something?

It was the first time I'd used the PCD function on my DRO and I was rather pleased with myself for learning how to do it. I'm going to make the top cover soon so not sure what PCD to use or make it to fit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ben.

Offline AOG

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 665
Re: Stuart ST Build
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
When I built mine, I ran into a similar problem. For me, it was because the cast in grooves were too shallow. I ended up fileing them out with a round file to get the cylinder covers to fit.

Tony

Offline bwal

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 58
Re: Stuart ST Build
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
Thank you Tony.  That's exactly what's happened to me. I'm glad it was that than an incorrect PCD. Mine is probably to far out so I'll make a new one to fit out of brass.

Cheers Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13248
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Stuart ST Build
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
Since there is no PCD shown for the grooves in the cylinder, I am assuming they were cast in. One thing you can do in the future is to draw the cover using CAD and check that against the cylinder in this case. Sometimes that can highlight problems in advance.

Bill

Offline bwal

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 58
Re: Stuart ST Build
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:41:44 AM »
Not long after Bill's post I started on the top cover and then I blew the start up capacitor on the lathe.  Fixed it yesterday afternoon. Had a look at the top cover and for some reason I drilled a centre hole right through it! Gotta make another one now.

And I'm going to try and file the cylinder before making another one.

Ben.

Offline Admiral_dk

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1270
  • S°ften - Denmark
Re: Stuart ST Build
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
Better luck can always be wished for after some of these happenings.

May the force workshop be with you and hopefully more than a few success parts soon.

Best wishes

Per