Author Topic: fog less coolant sprayer build  (Read 2012 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
fog less coolant sprayer build
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
Early last year I had bought a coolant sprayer from Banggood. It worked ok, even better once I put the fluid under pressure instead of relying on air flow to suck the liquid out of the tank. But some of the connections started leaking and the unit fell into disuse.

With the amount band-sawing, lathing and milling I am doing lately, I wanted coolant/lubrication again. After reading the Fog buster patent a few times I drew up a design. And today got most of it built in a few hours.

Not very complex, basically a group of intersecting holes, and a joy to make using my TouchDRO setup on the mill. So easy to dial in spacing and depths. In the end only one BooBoo, a .14 hole for 8-32 thread became a 5mm hole!!!??? Still have to make the needle valve so will adjust things accordingly, recovery without restarting the block.

This is the first time I have drilled a #60 hole as well, the UPT I bought made that almost trivial. A well made unit.

Gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: fog less coolant sprayer build
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:46 AM »
Interesting. I'd like to see a bit more. Particularly...seeing it in use.

I need to look into a UPT as well. I see a lot of posts about needing very high speeds (more than my mill or lathe can achieve) to drill very small holes.

What UPT did you buy?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:44:08 AM »
Zee, I'll make a separate post about the UPT on Monday, at a Liona Boyd concert tonight.

Online john mills

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:22:45 AM »
small size drills will still work at the low speeds most of our machines can manage my 9"hercus top speed 1300rpm i am quite happy to drill number 75 drill size holes  .at work with CNC machines 1/2 mm end mills still
work at top speeds of 3000  on drilling spindles milling grooves on  in materials with cutting speeds of 300meters a minute just need to use relative feeds and depth of each peck when drilling.you cannot always use what is ideal,
you have to use what you have.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
Not wanting to spoil your thread, I seem to remember that Bogstandard build a nice unit that worked very well, with drawings on this site when it was new (quite a few moons ago now).

Best wishes

Per

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:22:35 PM »
Hi Per, do you mean UPT or coolant sprayer? I can't that username :-(

Offline Joco

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:06:22 AM »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 12:15:46 AM »
Yep, I even contributed but forget :-(

The new one I built gets its first test on Tuesday. I had to use sealant on one fitting due to getting over enthusiastic with a drill on 1/8 fitting. My previous one had issues due to the air valves being asked to run in reverse (they won't shutoff)

gerrit

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 09:08:52 PM »
Such a shame to see one of the original persons behind this site being a Guest now and that his photos has disappeared ....
Oh well, time will do things we don't like .... (probably PhotoSuckIt or similar).

Sorry that my idea was all for nothing  :-[

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
Such a shame to see one of the original persons behind this site being a Guest now and that his photos has disappeared ....

If personally you choose to "delete" your forum account "Guest" is how your old posts show up. As an Admin I can delete everything but that mucks up other people's threads which can make it difficult to read  :(   Even I as an Admin can't get at accounts that someone has deleted themselves  :headscratch: I can delete individual posts  :noidea:

Don't get me on Photosuckit  :ShakeHead:  :-X

Jo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:30:51 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
Oh well, time will do things we don't like .... (probably PhotoSuckIt or similar).

Sorry that my idea was all for nothing  :-[
That specific thread still has the photos available from PB, some really good ideas in that implementation.

My new version works very well, just need to replace the hose fittings with barbed ones to complete the build. Photos and video to follow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal