Author Topic: Converted 1/2" belt sander  (Read 1333 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Converted 1/2" belt sander
« on: November 17, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
While perusing Chuck Fellow's YouTube channel I came across several of his small belt sander projects. Seeing them reminded me that I had a horrible Harbor Freight one under a work bench somewhere. Dug it out, took the useful part of the mechanism and mounted it to the side of my Foredom polisher. It is a DC motor driven variable speed device.

It still needs a small work rest, and the video shows the direction arrow incorrect. Another useful tool in the shop, for the cost of electricity to turn the adapter sleeve. Thank you Chuck for the idea.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7el8EAF-eCc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7el8EAF-eCc</a>

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Converted 1/2" belt sander
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
Very nice Gerrit. Would love to see more of how you mounted it to the bench lathe a.k.a. polisher.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
Thanks Bill
The mechanism mounts onto a 41mm hub, which is bolted to the motor endcap. The drive 'pulley' is a .625 diameter rod with 5/16 hole drilled/reamed. I did this in an ER32 collet chuck on the lathe to retain concentricity. 2 8-32 set screws (I need to get one really short one) hold the pulley onto shaft.

I am working through a list of tooling to make to ease working on whatever the next project is. Having metal on-hand means I can get started without any spend$paralyis holding me back :-)

Gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 02:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the additional info Gerrit.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal