Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51880 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #465 on: March 11, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
And just for interests sake--This is how I intend to add a "counter-spring" and adjuster to fine tune the point at which the governor kicks in and out.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #466 on: March 12, 2019, 04:37:12 PM »
The counter-spring for the governor has been built and installed. It works. You can definitely change the rpm at which the governor engages. It is a very delicate adjustment. Now I need to address the carburetor one more time, because it is running on a borrowed carburetor.  This engine does not have a great "coast" mode. I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of flywheel diameter and engine bore, or if there is just too much inherent friction from the helical gears running the sideshaft and the bevel gears which operate the governor weights. This is basically the same engine as was built by Craig Deshong, based on a 1905 Myers hit and miss engine. His model has 8 1/2" dia. flywheels and I "think" a 1.25" bore cylinder. His engine runs marvelously, and has a much longer "coast cycle" than this one does.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
Glad to hear that you are making progress - ie. discovering the major reason it keeps shutting down  :cheers:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #468 on: March 15, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
Just so ya know I'm not being totally slothful up here---Newest carburetor with 0.156" bore and bag of 100
3/32" steel balls in a plastic bag. I'm having a terrible fight with my arthritis this past week, so I'm not moving quite as fast as I usually do.--Going in on Monday for a cortisone shot in my left knee. Hope to have new carb mounted and new anti backflow made sometime over the weekend.--Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #469 on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
Going to a 0.094" (3/32") diameter  steel ball lets me make a much more simplified anti-backflow valve.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #470 on: March 16, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Very happy to report that new carburetor works fine. Engine is running and starting consistently with new carburetor. I will post details of new carburetor tomorrow.---Also hope to finish new anti-flowback valve tomorrow.---Brian

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #471 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:10 AM »
Hope the knee injection went well Brian.  Had my right knee done....much improved now.    Pleased to hear you've sorted carb.  looking forward to the video :popcorn:     Best Wishes     Terry

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #472 on: March 16, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
Finally--With the 3/32" steel ball in the anti backflow valve and the new carburetor with the 0.156" throat diameter, we are running off the main gas tank in the base and getting sustained runs. I am going to post drawings details of the new carburetor, take a final video, and then this thing is done like dinner.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #473 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:44 PM »
As promised, here is the new carburetor drawing. It actually has a total of four sheets to it. I am posting an image of the first page here. The full four pages can be downloaded from the attached link.---Brian

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7b03o2fo3b9bfns/CARBURETOR_0.156_RUPNOW_WITH_OFFSET.JPG/file

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #474 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
Glad things worked out well on this engine - guess it shows how narrow the good performance band is in the vast forest of different combinations of design elements. Looking forward to the video!
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #475 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Here we go---Final video time. This has kept me entertained/drove me crazy since mid December, and I'm not sorry to be leaving it behind. Thanks very much to all of you who followed this long post. I have learned a lot on the way, and discovered a couple of new things, and now I will leave it behind.---Brian Rupnow
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk5tmuStojM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk5tmuStojM</a>

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #476 on: March 16, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »
Proper Job Brian :ThumbsUp:             Terry

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
The fat lady hasn't sang yet on this engine. The engine runs, you have seen that in the videos. There is still 10" of snow in my yard, and the temperatures are still below freezing here in the daytime. When the weather warms up enough that I can get this engine off the corner of my desk and out into the main garage, with the big garage doors open, I will be able to do a lot more playing with the hit and miss action without the potential of gassing myself.----Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #478 on: March 23, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
Brian,
Sounds great, obvious hit & miss cycles. Happy dance time! Unfortunately samsung doesn't have dancing elephants.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
Today I finally got around to taking this engine out to my main garage where I could run it for as long as I wanted with the garage doors open. I haven't been happy with this engine. It seemed to me that driving two sets of gears (one set of helical for the camshaft and one set of bevel gears on the governor) made it simply too stiff to coast any amount of time when in miss mode.  When I build an engine in the dead of winter, I can only run it on the corner of my desk in my design office, and I'm always afraid that I might gas myself with carbon monoxide. Consequently, the gears and bushing surfaces never get a chance to totally "wear in" and eliminate any "friction points". I've had it running now without the "governor lever" on it for about an hour and it hasn't boiled the water in the cooling reservoir. The carburetor on it still seems very "fussy". There is an extremely small band between going so slow that it starves and stalls, or going so fast that it wants to disintegrate. I will keep you posted on any improvements that I make.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal