Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51972 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »
I will probably work on the fuel tank now, because everything else is finished. Measurements show that a tank 1" wide x 1.5" tall, x 5 1/2" long will fit the location I have shown in the 3D model. There are a number of ways I could go about building this tank, but since I have no equipment for welding aluminum I may make it out of steel rectangular tubing with ends and filler neck and outlet tube silver soldered into place.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
I'm having an easy day today, so thought I would build the gas tank. Laying on the chair you see the rectangular steel tube 1" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" wall, a piece of 1" x 1/8" stl. flat bar, a brass or bronze pipe cap, and a 90 degree black iron pipe elbow. I have already cut the extra length that I didn't need from the elbow, by screwing it to a 1/2" straight pipe nipple and cutting it off in the lathe.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
With the little bronze or brass pipe cap gets screwed onto a matching pipe nipple and then set up in the lathe, it changes quickly from an ugly duckling to a pretty gas cap.---And yes, I know my lathe is pig dirty. I can do things two ways. I can use my lathe dirty until the project ends and I thoroughly clean it up, or I can keep it nice and clean and never do any work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:09:17 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2019, 09:44:34 PM »
This is as much as I'm going to do today. That pipe elbow has been welded to the endcap on the inside with my mig welder. Not continuous---just three good tacks to keep things from moving when I solder that end with the elbow onto the end of the rectangular tube. I have to solder the elbow to the endplate at the same time to get everything leakproof. I'm going to mig weld those little "bolting ears" also.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:27 PM »
Very productive day!

:popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2019, 07:15:34 AM »
Beautiful approach! Love it.

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
Is it me or has the photo of the tank parts laying on the chair disappeared?

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »
hi Jason, the picture still appears on my iPad,

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
Brian,
Glad to see that you have it running. :whoohoo:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
Looks and sounds good  :praise2:  :praise2: Patience pays off  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
Today we have a 99% finished gas tank. It isn't pretty but very little of it is exposed when it is bolted into place. I may actually splash a bit of gasoline resistant chassis black paint on it before installing it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
TADA!!! We have a finished and installed gas tank. Everything fits. I will hook up the pipe from the other end when I get the anti-flowback valve that  I have ordered

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2019, 01:47:54 AM »
I have been notified by Canada Post that my new anti-backflow valve will arrive tomorrow. At that point, the voodoo will begin. Setting up the governor on a hit and miss engine is kind of a black art. On other engines like the Kerzel and the Odds and Ends hit and miss, the only variable is the strength of the governor springs. On this engine there is going to be a whole whack of variables. First I start out with the assumption that my flywheels are heavy enough. I'm sure that if anything, they are probably too heavy, but I don't really know. This leaves a few other variables. One is the strength of the compression spring that holds the governor normally disengaged. Another is the amount of engagement between the governor latch rod and the rocker arm. A third may possibly be the second threaded adjustment rod that determines how far out the governor weights are allowed to fly. Should my carburetor adjustment be richer, or leaner. I hope to figure all of this out in the coming week. I've came a long way on this project since it began four weeks ago. Everything to this point in time has been successful. The engine runs (and keeps running). The water reservoir doesn't leak. I will find out tomorrow if there are any leaks in my new gas tank. (I've tried it with tap water, but Coleman fuel will leak thru spots that tap water won't.) Wish me luck guys, it's been a fun ride.---Brian

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
Good luck  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »
My incredibly small anti-backflow valve showed up today. It's not very big, but it doesn't have to be any bigger. This goes into the gas line between the carburetor and the gas tank to keep all the fuel from running back into the tank when the engine is in "miss" cycle. I had built one of these, but it didn't work consistently and I didn't feel like messing with it. Mine was made with a 3/16" diameter steel ball. I think this bought one has a neoprene ball.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal