Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51852 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »
We're closing in on the last steps now. The valves have to have a cross hole drilled thru the ends for a valve collar retention pin. I drill a 1 mm (.039") dia. hole and use a 1mm piece of music wire thru it to keep things together.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
Okay, we're going to wind this up for today. Setting on top of the pill bottle is the absolutely wonderful, magical valve seating tool, designed by and copied from George Britnell. This is the tool that takes all of the heartache out of leaking valves. Just push it into the valve cage from the bottom as shown, push medium hard, and rotate it about three times. That will put in a perfect valve seat every time, concentric to the guide portion of the valve cage. This has to be the best tool I have in my entire engine building arsenal.---Thank you George!!! And the last shot shows the newly made valve setting in what will be it's final home, after lapping the valve into the seat and cutting off the extended handle.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2019, 11:36:47 PM »
Today I caught a two hour break in the middle of a design job, waiting for information---So, I hustled my butt into the machine shop and made a second valve. The only time I ever wish I had a toolpost grinder is when I make valves. It would be SO nice to grind the face of the valve when I have the valve set up in the lathe. The valves will work just fine once they are lapped into their respective seats, but gee, it would be nice to put a ground finish on them.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
This morning I lapped the valves into their seats and trimmed the handles off the end of the valves. Spring retainers were made from brass and the springs were installed. The spring on the exhaust valve seems about right. The spring on the intake valve may be a little bit too strong for an atmospheric valve, but  I will find that out as work progresses. I have an assortment of different springs that I bought for a project, and if I can find a spring in the box that will work, it saves me from having to buy one.A head gasket was made from 0.030" general purpose gasket paper from the automotive store, and the cylinder head mounted in place. These engines run cool enough that I don't bother to use some high tech heat resistant material for a head gasket.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »
And for all of you who have been ragging on me for years to not hold a milling cutter in a chuck---Today you get to have the last laugh. I have been saving a beautiful piece of brass to make a polished top for the water reservoir. I went to relieve it all around the edges this morning, and decided to use my newest milling cutter, which happens to be 7/16" diameter. I actually was going to use a proper collet to hold the cutter, but the shank on the damned thing is 7/16" also. I only have two sizes of collets, 3/8" and 1/2"----so---I held it in the chuck. A picture is better than a thousand words. That cut in the brass was supposed to be parallel to the top and bottom. Ah POOP!!! And that was the only brass I had. The cutter pulled out of the chuck and was heading for China and I didn't notice till it was too late.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
I never realized you were using the chuck, that was a lesson I learned first time I used the end mill, same result as yours...   :zap:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
I get away with it most of the time, milling aluminum. I generally only use a collet if milling steel ---or ummm, ahhhh---brass.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
For want of a simple collet.....
 :facepalm:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
That's going to take a lot of elbow grease to polish out :(

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
Can you mill it down parallel again and silver solder in a piece of flat stock to get the lost material back, save the rest of the block?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2019, 06:31:17 PM »
I will redo that part and use either a 3/8" or 1/2" endmill. I know I have collets for them. Damn I hate the taste of crow.--And the feathers stick in my throat---

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2019, 06:47:37 PM »
Now that I am totally disgusted with myself for ruining a perfectly good piece of brass, I think I'll do something else. I'm running out of things to build, but I want to see how things look up around the face cam and rocker arm. I think I will make the rocker arm support. Remember---"If at first you don't succeed--Screw it!! Do something else instead!!!"

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
I woke up far too early this morning and decided I should do something before I have to disappear for a 10:00 meeting. I managed to get the rocker arm support finished and silver soldered together, and made up a cam follower wheel from 01 steel, with an oilite bushing. Depending on what happens at the meeting, I may try and finish the rocker arm today.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2019, 02:22:35 PM »
I hear ya about the brain starting early....happens to me too!     Engine is coming along nicely!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
Milestone event today. Everything related to the face cam is assembled, and it goes thru all the monkey motion in a most pleasing manner. All I have left to do is make the lock-out rod from the governor, make a fancy top for the governor, and build a carburetor.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeIDz-vhJ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeIDz-vhJ0</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal