Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51893 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2018, 12:02:21 AM »
Hello Brian,

That is a chunk of aluminum, but the engine is coming together and looking really good.

Have a great holiday,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »
Well, the good news is that out of 10 tapped holes in the water reservoir, all of them lined up with the holes in the sideplates and governor block, and all the bolts went in with no fuss. That always kind of surprises me and makes me feel good. I finished up the design work that was going to keep me busy until Christmas, so should be able to get a bit more done on the engine now. I think probably tomorrow I will mount the water reservoir/cylinder mount on either the faceplate (or maybe the 4 jaw) on my lathe and put the cylinder hole in it.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2018, 12:00:58 AM »
You've been going like gangbusters  :ThumbsUp:

Looks GREAT  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »
The other good thing is that the flyweights on the governor don't fly out far enough to smack the corner of the reservoir. The CAD showed that they would miss it, but not by very much. I wasn't terribly concerned, because if they had I can cut some material away from that corner without breaking through to the inside of the reservoir. Regardless of what the CAD shows me, I like to actually see the parts made in metal and assembled to confirm it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
Rather than mess around with critical press fits between the cylinder and the water reservoir to prevent leaks, I am going to o-ring the water reservoir same as I did on the Rockerblock engine. This demands only a "close sliding fit" between the cylinder and the water reservoir, and with a 1/16" o-ring and some silicone applied during assembly, it seals very well and doesn't leak a drop of water.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
I decided to use the four jaw chuck rather than the faceplate. I figured the part was less apt to move when held in the four jaw chuck. In this shot I have just used my largest drill (1") to get all the way thru. You will also see that this time I decided to use some cardboard under the chuck jaws. I generally forget that and then have to contend with the marks that the jaws leave afterwards. Now I will switch over to my boring tools and finish boring out the cylinder hole and the larger diameter that surrounds it for a "water gallery". I will also put in the o-ring grooves in each side before I tear down the set-up.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
It's been a very boring day. My butt is totally kicked!!! I'm going to wash my hands, go upstairs, and make an early start on the Christmas Baileys.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2018, 11:54:23 PM »
It's been a very boring day.
  :lolb:

Looking good Brian.  With all this progress you need to start thinking what your NEXT project will be !
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »
Craig--I'm having fun with this one, and really not thinking of a "next" project. This is my thirty first engine and I like it because the side-shaft style is something I haven't done before. I was inspired by your side shaft build, and what an excellent runner it is. Other than the different governor and the face-cam, all of the stuff on this engine is "been there/done that".

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Anybody out there want to put in a bid on a mountain of cast iron swarf? I can guarantee that it's fresh!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2018, 06:34:30 PM »
Put it in a shipping box on the porch and hope someone steals it!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
Laydieeees and Gentlemennn--to amaze and delight you, we have--TADA---a cylinder, finished and bolted in place. It isn't honed nor lapped yet on the inside. That will happen after the piston gets made.--Chris--Great Idea.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »
Hello Brian,

I'm loving this engine even before you get it finished and running.  :praise2:

Have a great holiday,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
This morning I had five hours of "real" work. This afternoon I machined a cast iron piston. It is completely finished other than external lapping. It is larger than the cylinder bore by .002" to .003". I have ordered some #8 to 12 micron diamond lapping compound, and it should be here before Christmas.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
Today I will machine a con rod. My initial idea was to make one from bronze, but none of my suppliers have bronze in stock in the size I wanted. That's okay. I will build one from aluminum. I have many engines with 6061 aluminum connecting rods and they work just fine. I like to build my con rods as one piece and then cut the caps loose with a slitting saw, bolt them back together, then drill and ream the "big end" hole.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal