Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51799 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
This is the point at which you really, really want to be sure what part stays and what part gets sawn off and discarded. You will also see the spacer glued into the gap that was opened in the previous step.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »
Very nice so far!  I have never used the stressproof steel - how is it to machine? Are there different alloys?

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:36 PM »
Hi Chris, 1144 or here in Europe, ETG 100 is really easy to machine. The opposed piston twin crank shafts are also made of ETG 100.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
Hi Chris, 1144 or here in Europe, ETG 100 is really easy to machine. The opposed piston twin crank shafts are also made of ETG 100.
Thanks Achim!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
It's been a long day, but a worthy one. The one piece crankshaft turned out fine. I still have to trim the ends to get rid of the counterbores, and put the keyways in, but that will be for tomorrow. Chris--The 1144 is a nice steel to machine, and it is very stable. Unlike cold rolled steel, it doesn't try to turn into a pretzel while you are machining it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
That turned out great!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »
Nice days work Brian!! You have to be pleased with that.

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03:59 AM »
I am pleased. The first time I made a one piece crankshaft I remember thinking what a tough job it was. Now I find that like many things, it isn't really that much of a big deal----after you've made the first five or six.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2018, 02:49:58 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: Looks really sharp!

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys---It's nice to know someone's looking. This morning I trimmed the crankshaft to length, and cut the keyways in both ends of it. I'm just playing a bit now on the CAD. This thing is going to need a gas tank, and although I have always mounted my tanks on the outside of my engines, I have a lot of room available between the engine sideplates. I'm thinking of making up a tank that fits between the sideplates, with one end butting up against the "tower" that holds the cylinder and the cooling water and the other end hanging out the open end with a filler cap on it. The tank outlet would run right thru the bottom of the "tower" and come out the opposite end where it would hook to a line running up to the carburetor. I think it gives the engine a much cleaner look with the gas tank there instead of mounted on the side.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
  :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
Nice Brian, you're well on your way.  LOVE those one piece crankshafts.  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2018, 11:16:44 PM »
I had "real work" today, so nothing done on the engine. I did however order enough aluminum to make the base, both side plates, and the "tower" which holds the cylinder and is the water reservoir. This cost about $75 Canadian. I will pick it up tomorrow. All that leaves outstanding is material for the cast iron cylinder and piston, and I may go to a bronze rod--not sure about that yet. I'm having ongoing issues with my back from standing at the machines all day, so a day of "real work" not only makes me a bit of money, but means I get to set in my computer chair all day and not have an aching back at the end of the day.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
Nice job on the crankshaft  :praise2: Those are big flywheels even with the 1/2" shaft.

If I was using a toolmakers clamp as a drive dog I would probably add a couple of cable ties as a back up just in case it came loose  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2018, 12:18:07 AM »
I've been way to busy with real work (everybody is spending their budget money before the year turns over) to do much hobby machining. I did however, squeeze an hour out tonight to modify the helical gear set. The camshaft gear comes in at 0.370" diameter bore, so needed to be reamed to .375. The crankshaft gear comes in way oversize in the bore, so it had to have a steel bushing made and loctited in place to fit my 1/2" crankshaft. There was nowhere to put set screws in it, so I turned 3/16" of tooth off one side and put in two #6 set screws and a keyway. In this picture I had them both up and running in my milling machine, and they mesh just fine. I probably won't get much free time between now and Christmas, but I will post any further work that gets done on the engine.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal