Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51816 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »
First picture shows most excess material milled away leaving 3 "points". Next picture shows two of the "points" removed on my stationary belt sander, and third picture shows the finished cam in the position it is going to set in the engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #376 on: February 03, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
This is the drawing I was working from. Remember--If the cam follower is a round bearing you can get away with a straight sided cam like this. If however you have a flat tappet then the sides or "flanks" of the cam should be curved, and that makes the cam much more complex and difficult to machine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »
I spent the whole day making itsy bitsy pieces. Not the shoulder bolt. I bought it. Not the piece of 3/8" rod, but I did use it as a mandrel to turn the strange looking rocker arm end on. The other part of the rocker arm which is covered with purple layout dye got to this stage before I realized I was working from an out of date drawing. I may be able to make a save there, I'm not sure yet. The L shaped piece of 1/4" steel plate will get welded to the sideshaft support block to replace the one which is currently there. There is something downright sinful about working so damned hard for a whole day and only making three pieces, one of which may be wrong.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #378 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08:43 AM »
Brian,
Is that sort of like ordering shim washers for a project and then realizing when they come in that they are OBVIOUSLY the wrong ones. And the OD of the ones I got were about the size of the ID of the ones needed?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #379 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37:34 PM »
Brian,
Several posts back you mentioned about getting zapped while adjusting the carb with the needle valve in that position. Those type of carbs work at any angle so why not just rotate it to a better position?
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
George--I may do that. I want to get everything assembled and then I will add in whatever tweaks are necessary to preserve life and limb. i hate those unexpected "shock treatments". :rant: :rant:--Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do. My mill has amazing headroom, and this set-up used every inch of it. This was drilling, reaming, and threading the sideplate for a 3/8" shoulder bolt on which the new rocker arm will rock.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #382 on: February 05, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
Check this out. This is so cool!!! I have replaced the face cam with a more conventionally shaped cam, and added a really strange rocker arm. I love it when the real parts operate just like my cad program said they would. There was nothing wrong with the face cam I had on the engine originally, but there were problems involving consistent latching of the exhaust valve lockout mechanism from the governor. In order to change this (and hopefully improve it), I had to change the style of cam I was using.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiYlP18yok" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiYlP18yok</a>

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #383 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:36 PM »
Hello Brian,

I am with you, it is cool and some more of your neat engineering. :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #384 on: February 05, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
Isn't it great when the planning works out!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #385 on: February 06, 2019, 02:55:12 AM »
Just like the drawing says. :ThumbsUp:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #386 on: February 06, 2019, 07:06:41 PM »
So---Here we are again. It looks almost the same as it did the last time around, but there are changes. The face cam is gone, replaced by a conventionally shaped cam, and my wonderful rocker arm as seen in the previous video. The head is completely changed, and the brass tilting part of the governor arm has had the pivot moved around to the other side of the stem post. All I have to do now is make my new lockout arm and we'll try this rodeo again!!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #387 on: February 07, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
Brian,
Several posts back you mentioned about getting zapped while adjusting the carb with the needle valve in that position. Those type of carbs work at any angle so why not just rotate it to a better position?
gbritnell

Aw George, what's the fun in that?   :lolb:

Look'in good Brian. 

Btw- what CAD system are you using?  You may see why I ask later.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #388 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
Craig---I use Solidworks 2015 version. I don't pay the $1800 a year for maintenance and license anymore, because I don't do enough "real work" to make it worthwhile.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #389 on: February 07, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
The more I thought about how close that carburetor was to the sparkplug, the more it bothered me. It isn't the shock that bothers me so much--It's where you move your hand to involuntarily when you get the shock. I have never been hurt by any of my engines so far, but there are a lot of things going on up at the front of this engine. I don't want to get a shock, jerk away from it, and feed my fingers into the meatgrinder. The engine has been retimed, both valve timing and ignition timing. It is ready to go except for the small manifold that bolts onto the engine to channel gasoline from the gas tank up to the carburetor. I also have to incorporate my anti-backflow valve into the manifold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal