Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51912 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2019, 12:34:58 AM »
If you took off the same shape on the other corner, it would look like there is a venturi chamber or something under it.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2019, 04:29:28 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:25 AM »
An interesting redesign  :ThumbsUp: How are you planning to seal the brass plug that allows access to the valves?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
An interesting redesign  :ThumbsUp: How are you planning to seal the brass plug that allows access to the valves?
The plugs are bolted to the underside of the bolted cover plate. They are a sliding fit into the holes in the head. The cover plate will have a gasket between it and the cylinder head and the same gasket between it and the end of the plugs.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »
Here is a blurry photo (Sorry about that) of the cap plate that bolts onto the top of the cylinder head. The two round dowels attached to the underside of the bar are only in there as "space occupiers". If I don't put them in, it messes with the engine compression ratio.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
I am confused (not difficult  :old: ) In the drawing you showed an oval opening as was used in this style of engine, but it has now changed to two round plugs? You will then have a flat gasket held between the plugs and the cover plate?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »
Roger--That's the beauty of being the engine designer. If I see something that I want to change as I'm building the part, I can go back and change the drawing. The slot served no real purpose. It was the round ends of the slot that were important, so I just put in the holes. Any drawings I post "while in process" are very liable to change as I make the part. I always change the drawing when I change the part to avoid selling a set of plans which have "out of date" drawings in the package.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
That's it for today. Valve cages are finished and installed with press fit and Loctite. One cage was about .00025 oversize, which was where I wanted it to be. The other came out right "size on size" so I knurled the outside diameter to get a press fit. Knurling increases the o.d. by up to .005". In the picture you can see the 7/16" dowels that are in there basically to take up space. They are bolted to the brass top plate.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
Okay  :) I also tend to make it up as I go along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
Roger--When I design something, I use the absolute best idea I have ever had, giving consideration to shape, function, and machinability. As soon as I begin making the part, or sometimes after making it, I see ways that it could have been improved. It would be wonderful if I had these new ideas in the first place, but the world doesn't work that way.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
The new cylinder head is finished and bolted in place. As you can see, the valve stems now exit through the bottom of the head and the exhaust pipe sticks out sideways. The bolt on brass cap provided me with a way to insert the valves and lap the valve cages which were pressed in from the opposite side. I toyed with two or three different places to have the carburetor mounted, and settled for the one shown because I didn't want to cover any of the head bolts. I will have to make sure I have a good silicone boot on that sparkplug, or adjusting the needle valve on the carb could be a "shocking" experience. Tomorrow I will make the new cam and rocker arm.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »
Very interesting, Brian. Your 'changes' are cool to watch as they develop.

Rotate the carb 90*...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »
Roger--When I design something, I use the absolute best idea I have ever had, giving consideration to shape, function, and machinability. As soon as I begin making the part, or sometimes after making it, I see ways that it could have been improved. It would be wonderful if I had these new ideas in the first place, but the world doesn't work that way.

I once had a supervisor that would say (after turning in a tool design) now go back and do it again he would want 3 versions and guess what some times the first was the one we went with and some times the 3rd. I consider him as the best supervisor I ever had. Sure did like him as a boss if he would have still been there I wouldn't have retired. But he moved on and actually retired about a year before I did.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
The rocker arm for this new head design is going to be "interesting". Not a real challenge as far as making the part--I will make it in two pieces bolted together. It is however, a very different shape!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #374 on: February 03, 2019, 03:35:59 PM »
Nothing here for you experienced guys, but a "newbee' is asking about the cam making process. First picture shows a piece of 1 1/4" material in the lathe, turned to the two diameters which will be on the cam, and drilled and reamed to .375". Next picture shows piece parted off to finished length. Next picture shows the layout lines where I am going to remove material.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal