Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 53668 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »
I have thought long and hard about how happy I am with this engine, and I'm not terribly impressed---yet. I am going to make a few changes. The engine and the governor remain essentially unchanged, however the face cam and the cylinder head are going to change radically. Craig Deshong would quickly recognize what's going on here.---

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:16 PM »
Running great now Brian, you must be very happy  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

From up above, yes I do.  And you've also designed a way to get to the valves without a design that requires you make them in parts and assemble them in the head. :pinkelephant:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:45:59 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #347 on: January 29, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »
I don't get it, I think I'll wait for the movie.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #348 on: January 29, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
Art--You will like it. I have designed a new and different cylinder head to allow use of a more conventional cam set up.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:33 PM »
I am going to change directions now. Although the engine ran, and ran very well after I muddled through the carburetor and anti backflow valve issues, I'm simply not satisfied with the hit and miss action from the engine in its current state. I am going back to a much more conventional cam shape which will act on the exhaust valve thru the rocker arm.  The basic engine remains unchanged, and 95% of the governor remains the same. The changes will mainly be in the cylinder head, and the fact that the valve stems now set vertically and extend thru the underside of the cylinder head. I have seen this set-up on another hit and miss engine where it worked very well.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #350 on: January 30, 2019, 12:45:58 AM »
Art

Go back to the thread on my Myers build and look at the crazy  :hammerbash: way they did the valves and you will.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #351 on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:24 AM »
I've even been able to find a spot for the carburetor. The carburetor sets much lower than it did on the first go-round, but it is still above the top of the gas tank. I might have to put an extension on the carburetor needle valve to keep my fingers away from the revolving cam. Tomorrow I will make the new cylinder head. I can re-use the valves, valve cages, valve springs, spring retainers, and exhaust pipe and carburetor.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
So--If you were wondering what I'm doing today---this is it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »
People always like to see "in process" shots. I checked my stock this morning and all of my 1" aluminum was about 0.015" undersize, but I did find a bar of 3 x 1 1/4" stock. I cut out a piece on my bandsaw, then squared it up and milled it to 1" thick. The bolt pattern was laid out, drilled, and counterbored for #6 SHCS. Since I had set the part up in my mill vice and zeroed on the sparkplug (which is also the center of the cylinder)I drilled the hole for an M10 sparkplug. I then flipped the part over and plunged 0.7" with a 1" diameter endmill, then set up my boring head to put in the 1.181" diameter counterbore.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »
HI Brian,
I guess I'm kind of at a loss here! After all the work you put in on the first side shaft version, design, drawings and experimentation and then ultimately getting it to run well, what is the reason for almost a complete redesign of the engine?
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »
George--Part of it is that I don't really have a lot else to do. I don't have much "real work" right now, I'm not a television person, and I've read books until I'm all read out. I did confirm that I can successfully build a face cam. That was a first for me. Even with all the dialing and tuning and adjusting I did to that engine, it wasn't consistent enough for me.  There is actually very little that changes on the engine.  Most of the changes will effect only the cylinder head and rocker arm. I haven't lost anything. I will save that cylinder head for some future project. I enjoy doing this, and pushing my limits out a little farther in terms of what I can do.---Brian
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:50:04 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2019, 02:28:55 AM »
George,
I think what he's saying is that he's bored and can't sit still.  :noidea:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
I love my rotary table. It lets me do things that none of my other machines can do.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Oh yes, the rotary table makes SO many jobs possible!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »
Progress today on the new cylinder head design. It bolts on where it is supposed to. After mounting it I seen that there was potential for interference between the governor weights and the corner. Fortunately there is a lot of material in the corners, so I was able to remove some material. I may have to take a bit out of the water reservoir for clearance as well, but I will take a "wait and see" attitude with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal