Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 53600 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
Brian,
I think the problem you're having is the flyweights on the governor don't produce enough power to overcome the spring setup that you're using.
Here's what I would do. Unbolt the rod or remove the spark plug so the engine will turn over freely. Using an electric drill or some other means spin the engine at approximately the desired operating speed. Start with a very light spring and see how it reacts to the rpm of the engine. If the governor locks out the rocker arm immediately try a little heavier spring. Repeat until the latch out lever operates where you want it to.
I have found that it doesn't take much rpm to operate  the conventional weights on a flywheel governor. Even with that setup it takes some experimenting to come up with the right combination for the desired running and coasting speed.
With a conventional type governor you actually have 2 sets of springs to control the engine, the springs on the governor weights and one on an adjustment screw to override the governor weight action. On yours you're trying to control the engine with one spring and that can become a touchy proposition.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #331 on: January 25, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »
George--I was hoping you would stop by.  Trying to do this with one spring just isn't working out for me. I need the current spring to be weak enough for the governor weights to overcome it and lock out the exhaust valve, but I also need it to be strong enough to disengage the governors and let the engine "Pick up" again before it just slows down and dies out. I have tried for three days to find the balance point, but it isn't happening.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2019, 12:18:48 AM »
I spent most of today fighting the good fight. By the end of the day, I had achieved the closest to hitting and missing that I have seen since building the engine. I think that my flywheels need to be trimmed of some weight, and will do that tomorrow.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9XcRicqzRk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9XcRicqzRk</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »
That is sounding good Brian. The hit and miss is there definitely.

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
So---Here we are, hitting and missing with both flywheels on. I set the flywheels up in my lathe and turned 1/8" material from both sides to lighten them. Building the engine and getting it to run consistently was the easy part. Getting the hit and miss to work consistently has driven me to -----poetry??
What is better than Spring, and a maidens kisses
---When your hit and miss engine hitses and misses!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BbYl3nJHA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BbYl3nJHA</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:01 PM »
I am getting that the video is unavailable Brian.

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:43 AM »
Okay-I went in and tweaked the viewability of the video. Try it now and let me know if you can see it please.---Brian

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #337 on: January 27, 2019, 12:39:44 AM »
 :whoohoo:

It sounds really good, Brian! What's next, put a load on it. Like rub a stick on a flywheel and see that the governor picks it up...

:cheers:

Pete

Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
Excellent!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:47 AM »
Hi Pete--Glad to hear from you. I've had quite a struggle with the hit and miss mechanism to get it to this stage. The governor itself works amazingly well. The problems I have had were more to do with how the governor "shakes hands" with the engine. The engine itself was relatively straightforward, for a "first of". I have a bit of tidy up work to do on the engineering drawings and then I will be selling drawing packages of the entire engine.  The next person to build this engine won't have to do a lot of the "trial and error" stuff that I have sorted out---Brian.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »
I seem to recall that there was a British ME author very famous way back when. It seems he put out a lot of nice designs for the magazines and was held in high regard and still is with many.

The kicker is that he never built many of his designs and so over the years there are still troubles found by model engineers.

You've designed it. You've built it. You've tweaked it. You've run it.

I have no doubt that anyone that can execute the design can have a running engine.

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
If anyone would like a complete set of engineering drawings to build this engine with it's governor, I charge $25 Canadian funds for the total package. You can send it to my Paypal account  where I am registered under brupnow@rogers.com  and please specify which engine you want plans for. This is not an engine for first time builders. I would say that to build this engine you should have at least two or three other successful builds of i.c. engines completed. It is not a particularly cheap engine to build either, because of the two sets of gears involved. The drawings are in inch measurements and will not be offered in metric. You will need both a lathe and a mill to build this engine. There are approximately 50 drawings. At present, I do not know of anyone else in the world offering drawing packages for a side shaft hit and miss engine made totally from bar stock, no castings.--Brian Rupnow

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »
All of the drawings have been updated and saved as pdf files. I have never seen a governor like this before, but it works and that's what matters. It is mind bending to get your head around it. There is a total of 60 drawing sheets.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2019, 02:27:12 AM »
Brian,
Your engine looks and sounds great. I think you have finally sorted out the governor. Now you just need to attach it to the saw rig you made to see how it runs under load. Just out of curiosity, do you have some connection with Jay Leno's garage and his Stutz Bearcat episode? cause after watching both videos that was the next video up. :mischief: more likely that I watched the 1913 Mercer one yesterday.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
No connection with Jay Leno, but I do wish I had his car and engine collection.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal