Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51917 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2019, 09:28:48 PM »
Looking good Brian.

Another of your great builds.  Thank you for the clear illustration of how the hit and miss mechanism works.  Simple and elegant.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »
MJM460--I am fervently hoping that it works--- ;D ;D ;D

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:09 PM »
Hi Brian, I am confident that you will get it working.

Now, if I had made it.......???.  But you will inspire me to try one eventually.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »
This will be my fourth hit and miss engine. I started with the Kerzel about 10 years ago. Then I moved up a step and built Philip Duclos' "Odds and Ends" engine. Then I built a somewhat modified version of Philip Duclos' "Whatzit" engine. This will be my first self designed hit and miss engine. I have borrowed the "Side-shaft" concept from a build by Craig Deshong, and the face cam is used on the model "Silver Angel" and on many full size "Stovepipe Domestic" engines.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »
I remember seeing a couple of hit and miss engines when I was a kid in the early 1950's. The problem with them in Canada is that people would fill them with water and use them and then forget to drain the water. In the fall the water would freeze solid and break the casting around the water reservoir. My uncle had one on a small buzz saw. It had a bad crack in the water jacket but he plugged it (mostly) with some shop rags and had a water hose running into it replacing water that ran out thru the crack. This was back at a time when there was no hydro electricity in my part of Ontario, and every night when I come home from school my job was to fill the woodbox and pump two pails of water and bring them into the house and set them on the counter for my mother. Father and I went to see some-one he knew from the army, (They were all WW2 veterans), and that guy had a hit and miss engine running his well pump with a crank driven off one of the flywheels. I was pretty darned impressed by that.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
Today was "finishing up day". I made a small wire clamp up from brass and drilled and tapped the base for it to keep the "hot wire" away from the rotating flywheel. I cross-drilled the end of the crankshaft and tapped in a hardened 1/8" split pin for the starter spud to engage with, built the starter spud (you can see it laying in the foreground) and a final shot of the starter spud in place on the end of the crankshaft. It fits into my variable speed electric drill and becomes my "engine starter".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 06:31:15 PM »
The prominent brass knob is your ignition timing adjuster? I see your starter spud is straight. You haven't found the need to slope one side for automatic disengagement?

Good luck for the first start  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 08:24:43 PM »
And now we're in "troubleshoot" mode. Engine is finished except for gas tank. I have a temporary fuel tank rigged, and two fire extinguishers right beside me. Engine turns over freely, but doesn't have a lot of compression. That's okay, non of my engines had much compression until they fired half a dozen times, which "seats" the valves better than any lapping can. If choked by finger over the carburetor inlet while turning it with the drill, I can see fuel rushing up thru the transparent gas line. I'm getting fuel up to the carburetor okay. If sparkplug is unscrewed and lain on the cylinder head, I've got lots of spark and visually it is coming at the correct time in the sequence of piston movement. Valve timing is spot on, with exhaust valve popping open just as the piston begins to move up on exhaust stroke, and closing just as piston reaches the top dead center. There is very little lead or lag on the valve timing in this engine. It opens and closes within 180 degrees of crankshaft movement. Governor is not hooked up right now. I have to get the engine running first, then I start to play with the governor. I squirted dawn dish-soap around cylinder head to cylinder connection and ran the engine with my electric drill. No bubbling anywhere, so head gasket is not leaking. I have very, very little fuel, and I think I just toasted my electric drill (it's been going funny for a while now). Next step is to run up to my hardware store and buy a new drill and a can of Coleman fuel.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
Roger--I have never had a problem with disengagement. The fit between the starter stub and the crankshaft is quite sloppy. When the engine begins to fire and run I just pull the drill and starter stub away from the engine.

-----Another thing I have to check is adequate clearance between the rocker arm and the end of the exhaust valve. There should be .005" to .008" of clearance when the valve is not "up" on the cam. If the exhaust valve is not being allowed to close completely, all the compression leaks away thru the exhaust port.  I think perhaps the spring on my atmospheric inlet valve is too strong. I judge this by "feel", by pushing on the end of the exhaust valve stem. It is a delicate balance. The spring has to be strong enough to close the valve but weak enough to be pulled open by the vacuum created when the piston is travelling towards bottom dead center on the intake stroke.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:35:35 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:17 PM »
I.C. Engines always take a little fiddling to get them to run the first time, but it is a great feeling when they do start up.
I have followed your builds with great interest. Thanks for your great postings.
 You should look in to putting all your designs into a book-I would buy it!

Try a good squirt of oil in the carb. to seal the piston and valves up. That may give it enough compression to run.
 Scott

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2019, 11:38:01 PM »
 I have had engines start up and run first time I tried them. I have had engines which made me pull hair out of my already bald head. This engine has a leaky intake valve. How can I tell?--If I spin the flywheels when the piston is going into the compression stroke, it just turns as if there was no cylinder head on it. If I hold my finger over the carburetor inlet and do the same thing, the flywheels bounce back. If I hold my finger over the carburetor throat and turn the engine thru what would normally be the intake stroke, then move my finger off the carb throat, it will pop like a champagne cork. This tells me that the exhaust valve is sealing okay.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Damn--I just entered a big post and it disappeared. I pulled the cylinder head off this morning and relapped the intake valve and that solved my compression issues. I kept on clipping one coil at a time off the intake valve spring until I could see the intake valve bobbing open and closed as the motor was turned over by the drill. The engine runs quite happily along with the drill, firing as I expect it to but when I pull the drill away the engine slows down and stops after about 15 seconds. I seem to be having a gas starvation issue. I may have to try it without that ball check valve in the fuel line to see if that has anything to do with the fuel issue.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
Congratulations on first pop  :cheers:

It shouldn't take too long before you have the last issues solved - awaiting the video  :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal