Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51922 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Very cool Brian!
 :popcorn:
 John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
Back in 2016 I had the notion that my Kerzel hit and miss engine would run better with heavier flywheels and a larger carburetor.--It didn't, but I have saved that carburetor and a one way valve for the future. The future has arrived. That engine and the one way gasoline valve will be mounted on my sideshaft engine.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:04:20 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2019, 09:11:56 PM »
Sure is handy to have a spare carb hanging around. :ThumbsUp:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
I never knew there were so many ugly cutter marks on that carburetor body. Maybe I'll introduce it to a sheet of 220 grit laid out on my bandsaw table before mounting it on the engine.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2019, 12:24:47 AM »
The cutter pulled out of the chuck and was heading for China and I didn't notice till it was too late.

Been there, done that, but Mine was mounted in a collet !

Look'in good Brian, we're expecting to hear some noise presently. :pinkelephant:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:30:05 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2019, 03:33:14 AM »
Been there, done that, but Mine was mounted in a collet !
Me to, always be aware of how much your roughing pass is taking off before running the program. :wallbang:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2019, 05:51:52 PM »
The carb is mounted on the engine. It didn't go without some drama. I had finished and assembled things--it looked a bit crooked so I tweaked it just a teeny bit with my wrench to correct it---And it broke the fitting off right flush with the cylinder head. I was able to carry the whole engine in and mount it on my milling table, drill out the broken stub of brass fitting from the cylinder head, make up a new fitting and reassemble everything.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »
Narrowly averted disaster!
Art

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
Sometimes I really hate the Macro setting on my digital camera. It shows up things that I can't even see with the naked eye!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »
I'm almost ready to try and start this critter!!! Tomorrow morning I will install the one way valve in the gas line below the carburetor. I have just finished setting the valve timing. It doesn't need much more than a new spark-plug and a new set of points. It doesn't need the fancy brass top on the water reservoir to run. I can rig a temporary gas tank.  I will try to start the engine as a conventional 4 cycle engine first. Once I have accomplished that, I will play with setting up the hit and miss action.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
And for those of you who were wondering about the "latching" and "unlatching" of the governor lockout dog, here are two very interesting pictures. The actual "lockout rod" is in fact, a #10 socket head capscrew (temporary, for now) screwed thru the governor arm. The first picture shows the governor engaged. The brass governor arm has tipped down under the influence of the counterweights flying out from centrifugal force. The #10 shcs screwed thru the governor arm prevents the rocker arm from releasing pressure on the exhaust valve, holding it open. This is the "miss" cycle. The second picture shows what is going on during the "hit" cycle. The governor has slowed down, and the governor arm with the shcs thru it has tipped up. The rocker arm is now free to let the exhaust valve close, and the engine will now fire.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
The one way fuel flow valve I had saved wasn't going to fit my carburetor set-up, so I hade a new one this morning and Loctited it onto the existing carb fuel inlet. I will probably leave a flex line on there to connect with the gas tank pipe (once the gas tank is made). For now, the flex line can attach to a temporary tank until I am satisfied that the engine is going to run.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:57 PM »
This was three steps forward and one step back day. I finished up and installed the one way fuel valve in the morning. In the afternoon I had to go out and buy a piece of brass to replace the one I screwed up. (top for the water reservoir). Then I went to my automotive supply house and bought a new sparkplug, points and condenser for the engine. Then I went to a tooling shop and bought an assortment of new center drills. (the old ones I bought 11 years ago were all dull.) Then I came home, installed the new sparkplug, went to install the new points, and found they had given me the wrong ones. Had very high winds here this afternoon and every ten minutes the electricity went out. Finally about 4:30 I decided to call it a day.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »
The new points and condenser are installed and the engine is timed, both ignition and valve timing. The new brass top for the water reservoir has had a "step" machined all the way around it so it can set down 1/8" down into the top of the reservoir and be 1/4" proud of it on the top side. (This time it is only 3/8" material, not 1/2" and this time I used a collet to hold my 1/2" endmill to do the job.)  I still have to profile the exposed sides to match the reservoir sides and put the hole in the center to get water into it.  I may have to machine a small "keeper" to restrain the hot wire running to the points so it doesn't rub on the flywheel. Something I have noticed is that the sideshaft gears add a lot of stiffness to the rotation of the engine. Without the sideshaft in place, a flip of them big flywheels will make them spin till the cows come home. With the sideshaft in place, not so much at all. I hope that running the engine for half an hour under it's own power will loosen things up a lot more.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
Hah!!! Got it right this time.  That brass top looks good setting on top of the water reservoir. Of course it's on there with a goodly amount of J.B. Weld, so I can't do anymore on the engine today. Maybe tomorrow I will try and start it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal