Author Topic: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock  (Read 51860 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Design and build side shaft hit and miss engine from bar stock
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2018, 02:15:59 AM »
Interesting! Now it looks more like a worm gear?

:popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2018, 03:02:10 AM »
Brian,
Been busy the last week or so and am just getting caught up on your build. In the better late than never category. When I did the flywheel on VAL I used a lath tool with a fairly sharp angle and ran the spindle forward for the hub. Then reverse on the back side, indicator on the carriage kept the cut even.
Art
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:55:44 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
I've managed to find enough time in the evenings and this morning to whittle out a pair of sideplates and bearing caps. There is some fettling and sanding yet required, but it is progress. That piece they are resting on is destined to become the base.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2018, 12:37:10 AM »
I have the baseplate up on the mill now, and before I start putting holes in it, I am running that ornamental fillet around the four sides. That fillet makes a baseplate very pretty, but putting the fillet in is not one of the more fun aspects of machining. I have a 5/8" ball nose endmill, and it clunks and thumps like crazy. It takes numerous passes, and even after your finished machining the part, it still requires a fair bit of sanding with 200 grit paper wrapped around a dowel to get all of the wavy lines out of the fillet. It actually machines a lot better with "climb" milling  than it does with conventional milling.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
OH MY!!!!    Everything fits, everything goes round and round and up and down. All the parts I've made are together for the first time, and I'm stoked. The helical gears mesh properly. Next thing on the build list will probably be the tower that holds the cylinder and becomes the water jacket.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
Fine progress Brian - coming along nicely.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
 :cartwheel:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2018, 10:59:59 PM »
Brian,
Looking good, even starting to look like an engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
After an intense afternoon of Christmas shopping with good wife, I escaped to the shop and made the support block (with bronze bushing) for the side-shaft. I have hidden the near side flywheel so you can see the part I'm talking about, colored grey, right next to the pink helical gear.Something was rotten in Denmark, because when I tightened the bolts which held it in place, nothing would turn. Ah Poop!!! Some detective work showed that the backing of the support was about .006" short. I have an old ratty set of feeler gauges, and since I didn't want to remake the part, my .006" feeler gauged sacrificed it's life as a shim under the block. Now everything turns freely. I am absolutely fascinated by this engine. Some engines I build, and they work, and I'm pleased. Other engines like this one grab my heart and give it a squeeze. Probably it's silly to be so taken with a collection of steel, aluminum and brass parts, but it always surprises me and makes me feel great when it happens.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2018, 12:35:13 AM »
Really nice work Brian, both concept and build.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2018, 01:39:34 AM »
Hi George--Thanks for looking in. I'm not certain that my concept is going to work, and there is really no way of knowing until I build it. One thing about building something like this, if the first concept doesn't work, there are an infinite number of ways to reconfigure it until it does work.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2018, 02:05:49 AM »
And if you wondered what was lurking under the far side flywheel, well here it is. My "standard" set of Chrysler ignition points, setting on a mounting plate with a handle that lets me advance or retard the timing while I'm setting up the engine to run. It's a little more work to do it this way, and once the timing is set, it never gets adjusted again. I have found that it is a great help when first setting up an engine to run at the best idle, to be able to adjust the timing while the engine is actually running.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2018, 02:25:41 AM »
 :praise2: :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
I am just in the initial stages of marking out cut lines on the piece of 2 1/2" square piece of aluminum which will become my cooling tower. Since the bore will be somewhat complicated by being larger internally than at the outside ends, it can't be done with a conventional boring head. So--I dragged the model over onto my lathe faceplate. this immediately shows me two things. #1--the part will fit okay for turning, as it doesn't stick out beyond the edges of the faceplate. #2---I don't want to trim it to length until after I have bored it. By leaving it full length, I can put a bolt thru the top (above what is shown as the open end of the water reservoir) to bolt it to the faceplate, then trim it to length after it has been bored.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:56 PM »
After what seemed like an awful lot of bandsawing and milling, we have the part which becomes the cylinder mount and water reservoir. It fits very well where I intended it to. You can see a line scribed about 3/4" down from the top which is actually the height that it will end up at. For now I will leave that 3/4" on and drill a hole thru it to use as a mount for that end when I attach it to the faceplate of my lathe. There will be a hole thru the other end for the gas-line from my tank to run thru. It will do for the bolted connection at the other end when I attach it to the faceplate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal