Author Topic: Hello from the Colonys... Australia  (Read 8251 times)

fcheslop

Re: Hello from the Colonys... Australia
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Oh dear the old North /South divide and I thought Crew was in the south :LittleDevil:
Hi Artie and welcome

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 08:02:38 PM »

My deepest sympathies :hellno:, I sleep less than 10ft from one of my lathes .  As for bread, I make my own :stir:, I have to go 8 miles for the flour (or milk) does that count  :naughty:?

Jo
[/quote]

Isn't that cake your thinking of?http://www.modelenginemaker.com/Smileys/default/LickLips.gif

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
No I only make cake for my colleagues so they can celebrate my birthday and Christmas ;).

(I always thought that anything north of the Butser Hill gap is the northern wastes :shrug:, until you reach Hadrian's wall, then I moved North :headscratch:).

I did enjoy my time in Queensland 8).

Jo
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:17:42 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Artie

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Good morning all and thank you for the warm welcome. Many of you know me from other sites and I know many of you (in the electronic sense) although I have had a visit and a good chin wag with my ole mate Tel.

Yes John distance is our issue but since we have grown up with it it isnt such a problem for most of us, my work commute is 1100kms (round tip) so I do it once a fortnight, away from home 2 weeks at a time, hence my hobbies have fallen by the wayside for the time being. When I get home there is a month of stuff to do in about 1 and a half weeks... I love my garden but...... no veggies this year, or last....

All my projects are still there and I get the parts out from time to time to look/feel/smell and its not been a bad thing as I now 'see' things that I had missed and have worked out how to rectify etc.

So, Aussiejim for example (gday mate), is on my way to my work and is 'only' 4 hours away, practically a neighbour... might tee up a get together one day...

Bob,you still havent moved your shop???? Hows the new house settling in?

I like to idea of the site, Ive had a brief discussion on the ideology and it kinda suites my style (I think).

Bogs, is it ok to migrate my existing threads over?

Im a die hard metal caster, absolutely love it and Ive got a long term practical use for Mr Westburys twin cyl paddle steamer engine.... Actually Gretl (swmbo'd) occasionally asks me what Im doing with all that old stuff..... I just shrug and smile, but think to myself "ill bloody finish it when I retire!!!"

Offline Artie

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
:hi: Artie,

Welcome to MEM. What type of things do you like making?

Jo

Sorry Jo I missed the question first time round. Im a metal caster and have had a foundry in operation since I was in my early 20's, (just turned 50). I have a few projects on the go, untouched for a while but the major one is a 'loose' copy of Arthur Westburys twin cylinder paddle steam engine which I have intentions of installing in a scale hull of a steamer called the Pevensey which is still in operation here in Oz.

Here's a teaser of some of the bits...

Offline Artie

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
Good morning all and thank you for the warm welcome. Many of you know me from other sites and I know many of you (in the electronic sense) although I have had a visit and a good chin wag with my ole mate Tel.

Bob,you still havent moved your shop???? Hows the new house settling in?

Welcome Artie,

Ah the best laid plans of mice and men. My daughter decided to sell her property and reduce the size down from30 acres to a more manageable 0.5-1 acre. So far no buyers. I have tried to find alternatives but the cost of renting is beyond my means, so I'm still in the Port.

This week we celebrated 3 years in the new house. Everything is established now so just the usual cooking and cleaning.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Bogstandard

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »
Artie,

I have been moving over and abridging posts ever since the beginning of the site.

If it is of interest to the members, then you should do it.

But if possible, try to remove most of the dross put on by other people into the post, that way it becomes very instructional and people on here can then ask their own questions and make suggestions without having to battle through endless drivel.

John

Offline Artie

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 02:25:25 AM »
Thanks John, I intended to start new threads on here, too much dross as you say to be effective otherwise. Ill start shortly and do it bit by bit as I get time. Are the pics too large? Should I reduce them some?

Offline ColH

• Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:43 AM »
Welcome Artie.  Where in A us do you reside when not at work (the mines I assume)
Col
ColH

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »
 ;D He resides all over the place (NSW) Col. 'Artie' is short for 'The Artful Dodger'
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Welcome Artie!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Artie

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
Welcome Artie.  Where in A us do you reside when not at work (the mines I assume)
Col

Ill give you 'Artfull Dodger' ole son... :old:

Col, not a miner (or even a minor), I live in south western NSW and work on the South Coast, been doing so for a few years now, curtails the free time but plans are afoot to rectify that particular situation.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
 :hi:  Welcome Artie!

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal