Author Topic: Cam on Bob Shores silver Angel Hit and Miss  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Cam on Bob Shores silver Angel Hit and Miss
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 08:24:59 PM »
It needs to move back and forth otherwise there will be nothing to move the L shaped latch at the other end

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
You're correct about the strap and lock-out rod moving back and forth. The trick of this is when the rod moves forward it pushes the lock-out lever into contact with the rocker arm but the lock out lever isn't fixed to the lock out rod rather the lock-out rod slides through the lock-out lever so it only pushed it in one direction. There is a stop on the lock-out shaft that moves the lock-out lever. If you look at picture 9422 you will see that the end of the lock-out rod is threaded and has 2 nuts on it. The one nut is for adjusting how far the lock-out lever moves and the other is the lock nut. The travel of the eccentric has to be greater than the required movement for the lock-out lever so that's where the adjusting nuts come into play.
gbritnell
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:33:21 PM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
Jason--I know that it has to move back and forth. My experience so far with three different model hit and miss engines has been that whatever it is that moves into place to hold the exhaust valve open has to move into place and stay there until the engine slows down enough for the counterweights to move it out to let the engine "hit". This is a different kind of animal, as it seems to me that the rod would be constantly moving back and forth with every revolution of the camshaft. I just watched a couple of youtube videos of "domestic stovepipe" engines which have this type of governor mechanism.--and yes, that rod is constantly moving back and forth. It does seem to work very well however to give the hit and miss action. Maybe it's an issue of the amplitude of the movement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »
Sorry George--I guess we were both typing at the same time. Your answer makes sense.---Brian

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »
The latch is disengaged by a second spring when the rocker lifts and is not pulled back by the weight

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »
Okay Guys--I got it. If you hear a loud noise, it will just be my head exploding. I love this stuff, but it isn't easy to get your head around--until you've done it once. :Jester: :Jester:

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
To make the cam shown in Reply#4 you could "unwind" it and cut it flat, then roll it into a round and silver solder it to the shaft. Probably need heat to do it.
Just an idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal