Author Topic: Carbide Tipped Tool Bits need some help  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Carbide Tipped Tool Bits need some help
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

I cannot find any source here in the US for style CT (cutoff / parting ) Carbide Tipped Tool Bits in grade C2 and C6 in a size ½" x ½". I have found some in size ½" x 1" high which will not fit in my quick change tool post. I would also take the style ISO7R.

If anybody has a source please let me know.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Carbide Tipped Tool Bits need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
Thomas,

Brazed carbide tipped blades, or indexable carbide tips?  Do you need the blade/bit holder also, or just the carbide blade/inserts?

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »
Double checked, littlemachineshop.com carries cutoff blades and indexable cutoff tools and holders sized for 3/8 and 1/2 toolposts.  I don't know what carbide is on the brazed blade, it doesn't specify.  I'd assume you could find whatever carbide tips you want for the indexable cutter blades.  LMS carries C6 and C2 carbides to fit their indexable holder blade.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »
Thomas,

Brazed carbide tipped blades, or indexable carbide tips?  Do you need the blade/bit holder also, or just the carbide blade/inserts?

Hello Bent,

No the Carbide Tipped are the one that are brazed on tips.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Double checked, littlemachineshop.com carries cutoff blades and indexable cutoff tools and holders sized for 3/8 and 1/2 toolposts.  I don't know what carbide is on the brazed blade, it doesn't specify.  I'd assume you could find whatever carbide tips you want for the indexable cutter blades.  LMS carries C6 and C2 carbides to fit their indexable holder blade.

Hello again Bent,

What I am looking for is a one-piece tool after the tip has been brazed on. No replacement inserts or the indexable style.

The Cutoff/Parting tool come in "sets" and in the past could be purchased individually like the other tools. I found one company in the US that offers the 1/2 x 1/2 size but they sell for $18.95 plus shipping at $6.25 each. Normally an individual tool (C2 or C6 grade) sells for $4 to $8.

Thanks for your help,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

I gave in and placed an order with Banggood for some Bits, now I will find out if they have quality products. If any body does have a US source for these bits please let me know.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Just a follow up on the lathe tool bits. I could not find a local (USA) source for a (style “C”) Carbide Tipped cutoff bit that was ½" x ½" shank so I placed an order with Banggood for a DIN equivalent. Shown in the photo is a DIN 4981 which is 12mm x 8mm (.475" x .317') shank. The tip is .140" wide at the widest point, this I like because it is a bit narrower. The max cutting depth (close estimate) is .525 which is also good.

I have only used one tool so far to make two cuts in some 3/4" 1018 steel round rod but it cut real good with no problems. Not enough usage at this time to give an opinion of the quality but I am glad to now have eight of these in my tool cabinet and three 10mm x 10mm that I ordered at the same time.

It did take a long time to receive them after placing the order, about 26 days, but I was not in any rush. I did pay for them with PayPal.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
Here is supplier I use the micro grain carbide.

McMaster-Carr

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
Here is supplier I use the micro grain carbide.

McMaster-Carr

Hello Doc,

I had been on their website before but could only find 1/2" wide by 1" high bits and my quick change tool post will not handle above 5/8" high bits. Almost all of my bits are 1/2x1/2 with a few in 3/8" size. I'm not sure but the link you show has the 1" high bits.

It's funny that the "C-style" in 1/2x1/2, in both grade 2 and 6, are available in the "kits" but not as individual pieces. :headscratch:

Thanks for you help and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »
Part off blade here are the style I use.

Part off blades

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »
Part off blade here are the style I use.

Part off blades

Hey again Doc,

I have the quick change holder for that style of blade but have never used it. Guess I should go ahead and order couple of the blades in different thicknesses.

Thanks Doc for you help and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal