Author Topic: Stuart Triple - dealing with the sheet metal lagging.  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Stuart Triple - dealing with the sheet metal lagging.
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
Another Q on finishing off the Stuart Triple.

No other part of this build has caused me more consternation than the sheet metal lagging covering both sides of the engine.  I guess what concerns me is the metal has to bent around the profiles of the cylinders which includes curves and flats and is made from blued steel.  the challenges are hole locations in the lagging matching with tapped holes in the casting (not yet made), how to get it all to sit flat and how to bend and work without marring the finish.  I'd also thought to make the holding screws 0-80 because there isn't much to drill and tap into, but it seems small for cast iron - what do you think, will it work?

I also am unclear whether the lagging should go under the various pipe flanges.  If not cutting it out will be a great challenge as will having it sit tight to the casting around the flange, but if so, how does that effect the seal of the flange, you'll have an extra layer of metal there, are two gaskets required, etc

Any ideas to help me stop hiding under the bed on this one?  thanks

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Stuart Triple - dealing with the sheet metal lagging.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
Best thing is to use some stiff card and get that all cut and fitted than transfer holes and cutouts to the blued steel. Put the small screw holes in the sheet first and transfer to the casting rather than guessing where the y come under the template.

Put some tape or adhesive vinyl over the metal so yu don't mark it while working.

I tend to use 10BA or M1.6 screws which are approx 1/16" dia.

Cut the sheet around all pipework, flanges etc

Thin 0.5mm aluminium sheet is a lot easier to work than the blued steel and once sprayed looks fine and no risk of rusting.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:23:58 AM »
that looks very workman like, and and good tips - thanks.  AL sounds like a plan, easier to work and easy to replace if I make a scrap bin sacrifice.  Still....those reverse curves on the triple creep me out

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
Jason

What sort of paint do you use on aluminium to get a blued steel look ?

Phil

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
I don't attempt to match it, either paint the colour of the engine or satin black looks quite nice. Stuarts do an anodized aluminium which has a blue/brown tinge and that is what they have supplied with the engines for the last 30yrs+.

I thought Jo may have had some advice as she has built three of these, but then again the cleading tends to be done at the finishing stage ;)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:00:30 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I'm nearly at the stage of cladding a cylinder casting and was wondering similar questions.

Jason, where did you get those drain cocks shown in the unpainted cylinder?

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
Those are Stuart items.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
Those are Stuart items.

Thanks, I was hoping you were going to say you got them somewhere cheaper  ;)  I've looked around for a pair and the Stuart ones seem the most attractive but also the most expensive.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
Hey Guys

On post #155 in my stuart feed pump thread, you can see my approach for making the boiler cladding of my pump:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,937.150.html

Cheers Florian

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
Hello Gas-Mantle, re. the small drain cocks, I wrote up my making procedure for Stuart clone type drain cocks a while back in the Engine Ancillaries section, "Making small Stuart type drain cocks" .  Saves £££s, but it would be better to make a handful rather than a couple....   Dave

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
Cheers Dave that's great thanks  :)

There is so much free information tucked away in this forum it's easy to miss gems like this :-

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6258.0.html

At the moment I think I have managed to source a pair of attractive drain cocks but next year I hope to start making a fairly big engine and will have a go at making something similar.

Cheers
Peter

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 01:31:24 PM »
lots of builds crept up since 2018 but I finally got to it!  Jason, I followed your advice and finally got the cladding done.  It was a tedious job for sure, but I think it makes a big difference to the appearance - it really dresses it up.

Screws are 0-80, cladding is .030" AL which fit nicely up against the steam chest.  The plan is to paint it flat black.

Next its the drain cocks.  I've never been a fan of the taper style, I'm thinking along the lines of a 90 degree needle valve.  Toying with lost wax casting valve handles from a resin print, but will probably just have a pin handle for the time being

a few more shots here https://www.metallum.shop/2021/01/06/elementor-1533/

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:48:30 PM by Mcgyver »

Online tghs

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
I used some cork gasket sheet and silicone to insulate the block under the lagging.
what the @#&% over

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal