Author Topic: Monitor Build  (Read 14417 times)

Offline flopearedmule

Re: Monitor Build
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
Here it is mounted on the crankshaft.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
That made a great looking flywheel!

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
Well, I had to make my cams a bit bigger because I made the crankshaft too big diameter.
I needed about a 2" piece to start with.  I didn't have that big, but Dad had a piece of bearing bronze that was 2"
I silver soldered a 1.5" brass in the 2" bronze.  You can see the different colors after I turned in the lathe.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
Next, back to my mill to profile the cams.
I made a fancy little fixture to hold the bearing surface while I shaped the other surfaces, and bored the .75" hole.

The design calls for an end cap.  At first, I was happy to see this.  I thought it would be quick and easy to make it this way instead of making the eccentric strap out of two pieces.  I think next time I will do it the traditional way, (eccentric strap in two pieces)

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »
I cut the shoulder off one of the cams so it would fit snug against the frame rail and I could use a straight connecting rod.  The other cam, I will have to put a bend in the connecting rod.  That should be fun (I hope I can get it to look nice).

The last picture, the silver solder let loose right by the set screw.  I'll have to set it back up and make a flat spot there.  Bummer

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2019, 09:26:29 PM »
That made a great looking flywheel!

Thanks!  I was kind of worried when I seen  how far off the spokes were and the wall thickness.  But it really did turn out ok, and I can find a piece of brass or pipe to add more mass to it later.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:49:40 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
The flywheel and cams both turned out very well Dennis.  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2019, 02:53:24 AM »
Well, I got all my pins made to connect all the linkage today.  Then I got the straight rod threaded and fitted to the valve.
I have to bend the other rod for the valve about .75 offset.  I tried with some 01 tool steel, but 01 don't bend very good.  I'll have to try again tomorrow with some cold rolled.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:20:30 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2019, 03:48:13 AM »
The O1 would need to be heated to take a tight bend.

:popcorn:

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 11:39:20 PM »
I got the shaft bent, and I think it turned out pretty good.  It only took me 4 tries. ;D ;D
Now I need to put some threads on the valve linkage shafts and I will almost be ready for a first time start up.
Then take apart and add in a few oil cups, and fix a few minor problems.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:44:01 PM by flopearedmule »

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2019, 02:11:48 AM »
More progress!
I had a helper with me a couple days ago, and I couldn't find my steel scale and my calculator.  I thought I was going crazy until I went over by the band saw and found that my 5 year old daughter needed some of my tools worse than I needed them.  She always comes out to the shop with me and plays over by the band saw.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2019, 02:16:44 AM »
Next I was tapping some holes to mount some feet on the bottom and I knew the tap was starting to get dull.  I thought for sure it would make it through the aluminum. :hammerbash: :hammerbash:
spent the next hour trying to dig it out and then finally said screw it and drilled around the outside and put in a plug.  It turned out ok and nobody will ever see it.....except you guys.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:53:17 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2019, 02:20:33 AM »
Yesterday I had to figure out a way to get air into the steam chest.  I am using poly for the cover so everyone can see the valves working, so I had to come up with something other than what was on the print.  I drilled and tap one steam chest and then I drilled and reamed the other one.  It is working great!

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2019, 02:41:05 AM »
Finally today!! :pinkelephant: :cartwheel:
I got this beast running for the first time.  It fired up as soon as the air was plugged in.  There is one spot were the crank slows down some because of the design.  I think adding some weight to the flywheel will smooth it out more.  Its running so good I hate to take it apart for painting.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Lpqwaq0N4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Lpqwaq0N4</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2019, 03:20:41 AM »
OutStanding!!!!

:whoohoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal