Author Topic: Monitor Build  (Read 13863 times)

Offline flopearedmule

Re: Monitor Build
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 03:31:19 AM »
A separate build thread for the brass prep tool would be really cool.

Jeff, I wonder is the moderators would be ok with that.  its not a model engine.
Maybe I can just post my progress here on my Monitor build thread.
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:04:37 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 03:53:21 AM »
The higher numbered cutter takes a skinnier cut, so you should be able to use a lower numbered cutter over it as long as you can line up the centers accurately. The cutters should be stamped or etched with the number on the side.
The nbr 8 is the one on the right.

Ok, I think my new cutters from China are labeled wrong.  I have a #7 cutter (32 DP) that I used for something along time ago (crankshaft for the 18 cylinder Hodgson Radial engine).   First picture is a picture comparing the #7  old cutter,  and a #7 from my new set from China.  The one on the left is Old #7, and one on the right is New #7 Chinese one.  The profiles are not the same curve, but they both are labeled #7. :Mad: :Mad: :Mad:  In the background first picture, there is a  8DP #1 cutter, and the edges are straight.  Hardly no curve at all.

I'm pretty sure in a set of involute cutters, the one that has the straight edges is supposed to cut a rack, and it should be labeled #1.

The second picture is a close up of the 58 tooth gear I just cut with my #2 Chinese cutter.  Notice the teeth come to a point.  I don't think that is right.  With my new Chinese cutters, I should have used the #7 cutter.

I guess the best thing i can do now is change my 58 tooth gear to a 53 tooth gear and set up all 10 of my 25 tooth gears and use the correct cutter. (In Chinese numbers that would be a #4 cutter------not a #5 cutter.   This will take me awhile to fix.

3rd picture is a picture out of Ivan Law's book that tells me the number of cutter to use for the number of teeth.  I have found on the internet a chart that says the opposite of this book.  Maybe the Chinese found the same chart on the internet and labeled the cutters wrong.
The good thing, If I ever make more gears in the future. I won't make this mistake again.  Starting to wish I would have just bought the $200 RCBS machine.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:09:00 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 04:01:12 AM »
It is naturally your call :headscratch:, however keeping all sub-subjects [jigs, manufacturing aids ets] in the same thread as the main build helps members viewing your build read, look at the progress, how you achieved the manufacturing of the parts etc, is by far the best

We have the Marion 91 Steam Shovel thread currently at 173 pages.........members can sort their views and flick from page to page easily.......if they want to go back .....the WEB site  :atcomputer: makes it so easy

Certainly my vote is keep everything relating to your build here in the one single  :happyreader: thread 

Derek :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:09:01 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 04:09:53 AM »
Interesting to see the numbering differences. On all 3 of my sets, same chinese source, all the 12/13 tooth ones are nbr 1, the 135-up ones are nbr 8 - they are all labeled with the range and cutter nbr. Wonderful how standards are followed!   :shrug:    :ShakeHead:    :cussing:

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »
Yep I have some Far Eastern ones and they are indeed labled A about face  :mischief:

The draw in which they reside has a laminated chart to remind me of they impending errata
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
Interesting to see the numbering differences. On all 3 of my sets, same chinese source, all the 12/13 tooth ones are nbr 1, the 135-up ones are nbr 8 - they are all labeled with the range and cutter nbr. Wonderful how standards are followed!   :shrug:    :ShakeHead:    :cussing:

I suppose that's what we get for being cheap. :)
I would say you have the wrong numbers on your cutters.
I bought the whole set for $75, so I'm getting what I paid for. I sure would like to do this to the guy that put the numbers on them.   :Director: :Director: :Director: :Director: :Director:
This was a big lesson for me on what the profiles look like on the cutters.  (10 small gears and 1 big gear  :hammerbash: :'( ) I might screw up my next set of gears, but you can bet it won't be screwed up using the wrong cutter.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »
Seems consistent; the involute cutters I get from china are numbered in reverse.  It's caused me to purchase extra cutters.  :'(
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Guess I never noticed the numbering order since I always just looked at the nbr-teeth range stamped on the side of each cutter rather than picking them by the number.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 01:53:40 AM »
Hi everyone!  Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year!

I got an inner ear infection that turned into an outer ear infection that lasted from the end of Nov. to middle of Dec.  Not much motivation to go work in my shop.  Seemed like I was walking around sideways all the time.  (I think I would rather have a broken rib, than have another ear infection).
Then I had a minor case of pneumonia that layed me up another week.

I finally got back to my shop this week and got my brass prep machine almost done.  I just need to get it wired, and get a program loaded up in the Arduino.
The ER collets I bought from China, were NOT my best purchase, even though they were not much $, I probably won't buy them again.  The OD was not consistant from collet to collet, and a couple of them had some taper in them.  They had hard spots in them when i tried to lap some of the OD to match closer.  I finally just lapped the bushings to match each collet.  It did turn out OK with a lot of patience.   I am posting a few pictures.

I really need to get back to building my Monitor.  I hope to get back to building parts for the monitor in the next couple weeks. 
I have been checking in on all the projects here a couple times a week. (I'm really liking the Frisco Standard, and the Muncaster Grasshopper)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:02:53 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 02:02:26 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Nice job on your brass prep machine! That's a nice compact setup.
 What will the Arduino control?

John

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:27:48 PM »
:ThumbsUp:
Nice job on your brass prep machine! That's a nice compact setup.
 What will the Arduino control?

John

Thanks John
Arduino will control the motor, speed, and direction.   it will have ON OFF ON switch for direction and a potentiometer  for speed.

Here is a project I completed last year to make stings for compound bows.  I am using an Arduino to control the motors.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWyiAOYC3QI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWyiAOYC3QI</a>

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
These monitor builds intrigue me, so I'll be stopping by; verbally sometimes, silently others.  :popcorn: :popcorn:

I have been checking in on all the projects here a couple times a week. (I'm really liking the Frisco Standard, and the Muncaster Grasshopper)

I like the Frisco Standard too, more so when I'm not screwing up.  :Mad:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:43 AM »
Finally got back to business last weekend, and some this weekend.
The crankshaft is almost complete, have to pin it and cut the center out.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 12:47:51 AM »
the arms are done, but maybe they would look better if I put them in the lathe and made the center round.????
I found a piece of scrap 3/4" aluminum, cut them out and milled to 5/8" then profiled in the mill.  They turned out really nice.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:37 AM »
I bought some oil-lite bushings instead of making my own.  The OD was .003 too big, so I had to make an arbor to get them right and cut to length.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal