Author Topic: Closer to printing metal in the home shop ?  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Closer to printing metal in the home shop ?
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20181102-iro3d-now-shipping-5000-destop-spd-metal-3d-printer.html

http://iro3d.com/

Just read this article a Seattle based company called Iro3d has just released a 3d metal printer . Well sort of. the printer  prints a sand mold and metal powder at the same time then one places the project in a kiln for 2-3 hours to get the usable part.
the cost of the machine is currently $5000 and the metal powder and sand about $5 a pound.
the finished product looks like cast metal from a sand mold. No surprise there.
and of course one needs a kiln or metal furnace to complete the part.
An average sized part Takes 24 hours to print. layer height is .3 mm and the nozzle is 1 mm . so do not expect fine detail.
I see the product  from this unit as a casting that will need machining to make a usable part.
The unit has 4 feed hoppers one for fine sand  one for course sand and presumably two for metal powder.
Is this a true breakthrough ? I guess that is for us to decide.

With a current Sub $500  printer one can print an object and use it in a sand mold or print with wax filament and investment cast.
In no way am i endorsing this product. As with anything else do your research before purchasing.  Pay your money take your chances caveat emtor etc. an no i am not planning on purchasing one  ;D

I am simple passing on info that i feel may be of interest to members here.  A bit of a twist on work flow and of possible application for model engine building.
Looking forward to others perspectives on this subject.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
Re: Closer to printing metal in the home shop ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
Interesting .

Not cheap, but even with the cost of a kiln, far cheaper than laser sintering.  incidentally I saw a neat laser sintering add on for a cnc mill at a show recently that consisted of  a laser tool and feeder device on a 40 taper , probably the cheapest entry to metzl printing

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal