Author Topic: Cylinder Honing  (Read 10567 times)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: Cylinder Honing
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
I had heard the same regarding diamond lapping paste with the additional comment that it can be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath, which is what I do.

I think I'll disagree, on principles.  What embeds an abrasive in a material is it being pressed into it, by a harder material.  If I'm making a cast iron lap, and I press the material into the CI using the hardened race of a bearing, the abrasive will embed in the cast iron.  otoh, if I'm using a copper on a cast iron cylinder, it will not embed. 

I say on principle as I've done a fair bit of lapping, but not specifically cast iron with diamond.  I also doubt ultrasound will un-embed the abrasive, but I don't specifically know - it might be worth an experiment to see.  The amazing thing with a an embedded lap is that it actually becomes a cutting tool and parent material is never touched.

Usually laps are a cutting tool where abrasive is embedded, however for cylindrical work, loose abrasive that works the work and the lap is common.  It works because if you are careful, the lap and the work will end up a perfect cylinder.

Honing is done with stones.  the spring loaded style might remove grunge or polish, but do nothing to fix the geometry.  A Sunnen hone otoh will produce perfectly straight and round bores.  Hand held expanding laps can come close to the the same results but needs a bit more concentration on touch.   There a great low cost home shop solution to ge a finely finish bore that is straight and round.

a few photos for kicks of internal expanding laps I've made

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:50:08 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: Cylinder Honing
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
"Timesaver"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal