Author Topic: Carbide Inserts  (Read 5330 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Carbide Inserts
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »
In the past I have tended to nurse my carbide inserts way beyond their useful life. At around £20 for 10 they can get expensive. So I had a dig around on Ali Express and found these guys.

https://fttools.aliexpress.com/store/3675058

My first batch of CCMT060204 certainly seemed to be everything it said on the box so I ordered some more and they arrived today

150 inserts £62 with free shipping. OK they took about 6 weeks to get here but at that price I'm happy to wait. You don't have to order 150 either my first batch was just 20.

Pete

?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Carbide Inserts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »
Are they genuine, there are quite a few fakes about.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
:headscratch: Where are you buying fake carbide tips from JB? I've had some cheap tips from the UK but some decent ones at a bargain price from China.

The best tips remain the expensive names and come in at over £5 a tip like Sumitomo - I am on my second triangular Sumitomo tip on my 6mm boring bar after 20 years of abuse use :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
At the prices they are selling them for it was worth a try, so I purchased my first batch.  Something like US$8 for 20. They did the job so could only assume they are genuine and ordered more.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20PCS-CCMT060204-CCMT21-51-UE6020-carbide-inserts-Internal-Turning-tool-CCMT-060204-Face-Mill-Lathe-Tools/3675058_32857927204.html

Heaven knows why I ordered so many CCMT060204 they'll last me forever.

Pete

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:20:12 AM by doubletop »
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Did not say that I had bought any just that there are some about.

Even my friendly Sumitomo supplier can't be sure if they are genuine or not, there are several reasons they could be cheap. he also says that on his many visits to china he has seen factories with state of the art swiss made machines ( I know you love them) than can produce inserts that have the look but may only be 25% of the quality of the real thing.

As we don't push our home machines at anything like what these inserts would be expected to do on a commercial CNC machine that 25% may well be good enough for us, bit like a fake Rolex which still tells the time and looks good (in some peoples eyes).

The number of years you have had a tool is not an ideal way to say how well it lasts as it is the amount of work done in that time that will affect it not if it sits on a tool rake unused for 12months at a time. This is more of an issue when someone has several machines all with their own sets of QCTP holders and mounted tools where a big tool that only fits one machine that does not get used much will not see the wear that a regularly used tool will.

Remember that chilled piston from the Allman I thought I would use up some Bangood inserts on that, could only get one shallow cut from them before they were blunt, switched to some tips from APC and finished the job with the same bit. Same with that facing head that I posted about earlier, supplied inserts crap but transformed when using Korloy and IG-1.

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
Put them under a scope and check the nose radius.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpW_56RASoI/

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Having only ever used the inserts supplied with the holders I have nothing else to make any comparison. The provenance of the OEM inserts could also be in question. As you say Jason we rarely use our machines at indistrial levels I'd guess its up to the individual to make a value judgement.

At £7 for 20 CCMT060204 I'd just suggest its worth a punt. OK you may have to wait for them to arrive but they will turn up. (I had a delivery from China, exit vis Hong Kong, head off to Zurich and then come to New Zealand)

Pete

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »
There are some knock off Mitsubishi and Korloy inserts out there. The copies are very good in deed. The only difference was on  the Ali inserts, they were not quite as shiny as the real deal ones. On the coated inserts, they did not last as long. For a home workshop, you will not notice the difference with the coated inserts. The Ali ones did seem to get a buildup on the cutting edge that the super shiny ones did not seem to be getting. The Mitsubishi people were out here in NZ last year investigating the knock off product and what it all looked like.
Mitsubishi, Korloy, Kyocera ,Kennametal and Sumitomo , are the main insert companies I get my inserts from. They all have good stuff and pick and choose what I think is the best that suites me. For example, the Sumitomo positive geometry PCD insert I trim my Ali pistons with, is by far the very best insert I have found for the piston trimming.
After looking at the link above/below, they do look very much like the real deal, especially the Ali inserts. They look to have that mirror shiny polish on them.
Interesting for sure.
Neil
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:33:11 AM by Neil-Lickfold »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal