Author Topic: Sanderson Beam Engine  (Read 1597 times)

Online Twizseven

Sanderson Beam Engine
« on: October 31, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »
Having obtained a set of castings for the Sanderson Beam Engine from a young lady on this site.  I have been reading the Stan Bray build which was serialised Dec 1998 to Oct 1999 in alternate magazines.  Part 11 was in issue 4103 and I would have expected Part 12 in issue 4105.  Instead it said it was Part 13 (but said it continued from the last page of Part 11.

My question is: Was there a Part 12 but it was missed out or should Part 13 have been labelled as Part 12.  My view is that there is a Part missing as there was no reference anywhere to the manufacturing of the valve assembly.  Was there a missing Part which was issued later on.

I will not be building it for some time, but want to ensure I have all the bits and pieces before I put it away for a bit.

Thanks,

Colin

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Sanderson Beam Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
The ME magazine goes through periods where they get confused with their numbering  :facepalm2: Rule of thumb is they used to like a 12 part build series so it goes for a year and yes they normally span three volumes  ::) it would be too easy to start a series on a new volume so when you tried to buy the second hand mags you only had two volumes worth to find.

Normally with a Stan Bray series at least one part is missed out to encourage you to buy the drawings and castings  ;)

Looking forward to seeing the build  :)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

Re: Sanderson Beam Engine
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »
Luckily I was able to buy the 3 volumes at Midland Show cost me £25.  Damn sight cheaper than Ebay at typically £4 per issue.

Will order plans from Blackgates and decide whether to buy the missing castings.  May well get the gears whilst they are available.

I must admit its quite surprising that there are no other completed build of this engine.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal