Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72085 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2020, 02:53:12 AM »
Hi Sco.....thanks and getting there ..this is the barring pivot bracket   at least that is what I am calling it ...so nearly done ..I have soft soldered the round parts in the bracket keeping them in position using the vice and the mini blowtorch...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:55 AM »
Very nice. It all looks so much better without the meccanno base, though that served a good purpose.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2020, 02:19:26 AM »
Hi Chris ,  yes and also it avoids loosing all the nuts that fall through all the holes !!!  just the governor drive pulley to make now and all the tidying up. >>>Yea...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2020, 03:35:02 AM »
Starting on the Governor pulley on the crank shaft... the drawing is made and the part is made from a solid piece of brass. the spoke holes are drilled as shown with the part in the chuck using the Bull wheel and a jig. the holes are drilled through using a hand drill and a 1/8th centre drill.  the spokes will be silver soldered in place and then returned to the lathe and finish turned. The spokes are oval in shape rather than round... Hi Jason and Jo, Great, I found the Table engine on the web ...it is quite large and I don't know where it is now  and who actually made it ?!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2020, 04:23:04 AM »
Interesting way to do the spoked wheel. You will get the spokes soldered on before separating from the bar? That is a built in alignment jig, clever!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #485 on: May 28, 2020, 02:59:47 AM »
Hi Chris , er um yes I suppose it is !!however I am being a bit lazy and thought this was the easiest way to do it !!?..The holes are drilled through and the German silver rod was inserted and silver soldered in place then cleaned up on the Myford also the oval spokes were part flattened. the part was parted off and transferred to the Unimat and the other side profiled... there will be some fettling to do.. this is the last part and next is cleaning up all the parts and the governor linkage made up....

Willy

Online derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #486 on: May 28, 2020, 03:30:07 AM »
Very tidy Willy  :hammerbash:

Were you using HSS for the 6 x 6 x 6...bang bang bang ...in cutting the flattened profile to the 6 wheel pins in the Myford?

Does the Unimat provide a better concentricity for the reverse side cleanup?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #487 on: May 28, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »
Hi Derek ,  yes ..I only very rarely use I insert lathe tools , as I need to grind the shapes to be able to get into the parts...I used the Unimat as the wheel is only 1" diameter and the bore in the Bernerd chuck is the same ..so there was no flat part to push the wheel against !! There is going to be a lot of fettling with the spokes to make them all the same !!

Willy

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »
Nice work on that pulley, Willy. 

I am not sure if it was easier than alternative methods or not, but it looks like it will do the job well.  Those oval spokes were not going to be easy however you did them.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Hi MJM. I have just thought that I could have made the oval parts oval before I inserted them before I silver soldered them >>>

relive and learn I suppose ?!!!  this pulley is actually quite hidden from view behind the eccentrics and I could make another one to get it perfect  rather than looking like a poor casting !!!

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #490 on: May 28, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
Hi MJM. I have just thought that I could have made the oval parts oval before I inserted them before I silver soldered them >>>

we live and learn I suppose ?!!!  this pulley is actually quite hidden from view behind the eccentrics and I could make another one to get it perfect  rather than looking like a poor casting !!! I have had to guesstimate the actual dimensions as we can't visit the engine as we are in lockdown and I don't have any really good photos of it !!

Willy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:11:01 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2020, 03:17:56 AM »
Ok so the governor drive pulley is finished and in position ...and the pulley on the governor needs making ...the G small pulley has extra side pieces to stop the belt coming off but the Crankshaft one is slightly curved to keep it in place there. !!

Willy

Online derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #492 on: May 29, 2020, 05:45:42 AM »
Well Willy....55 years ago :old:, as apprentices made [assembeled] leather drive belts for process machinery.....I always loved how a Crowned Pulley would steer the belt to the centre or highest diameter of the pulley

These Flexco OO Size joiners are listed for belts up to 1.6 mm thick, and suitable for pulley sizes from 25 diameter +

The amazing thing was the Joining Wire was not metal wire at all........no I believe these approx 1/8" diameter lengths were reinforced strands of Pig Gut......similar to Tennis Racquet Gut Strings......

.....and not to forget  :facepalm: if the product slipped on the belts and the tension appeared OK.......throw/sprinkle white Rosen powder on the belt  :ThumbsUp:....it always worked

Derek

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:56:50 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #493 on: May 30, 2020, 03:26:45 AM »
Hi Derek,  Yes , crowned pulley's... I used to think the belts  stayed on the pulleys due to centrifugal forces ?? then heard it was because the differences in diameter caused the belt to steer to the top faster section of the pulley I don't know the actual theory about this but there is possible some maths to explain this ?!!!( perhaps someone ? that knows about governors on this forum could enlighten us as they may use resin cored solder). ? Also they use rosin on a violin bow to create friction to make the strings vibrate !!...and there are stories that if you want to pretend to play in a band/orchestra you could put candle wax on the bow and pretend to play without making any noise !! :lolb: :lolb:

astb

Willy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:31:55 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
Hi Willy, a real grab bag of mixed metaphors there.

Resin cored solder is used in soldering for its chemical action on oxides when soft soldering copper and tin in the same way as a different chemical composition of flux is used for silver soldering.  However resin is used on a violin bow for entirely different reasons that are possibly known only to violin makers, but I am sure they don’t want a chemical attack on the strings.

However, you are quite right in feeling there is a simple mathematical explanation for belt tracking on a crowned pulley. 

If you calculate the length of the circumferential path around the pulley, you will know that it is greatest at the pulley crown and less at the edges.  When a flat belt is tensioned around the pulley, it’s tension is greatest around the crown and progressively a little less each side as you move towards the edges.

If the belt is running true, the tension variation each side of the crown is in balance.  However, if the belt moves a little one way or the other, as surely it will for a multitude of tiny reasons, then the tension becomes greater on the side being dragged towards the crown, while it becomes less on the side moving towards the edge of the pulley where the diameter is less.  This means the belt tensions in the direction across the belt are no longer in balance, and quite importantly, in the direction that tends to drag the belt back to the centre to where the the tensions are again equal.  Just as Derek has said. And similarly on any of the other pulleys over which the belt rides.

Of course, the shafts on which all pulleys affecting the belt must be parallel, and the pulleys must be aligned on the shafts with the crown radii all on the same line perpendicular to the shafts.  Otherwise that misalignment might steer the belt off to the side.

I am not sure how many pulleys have to be crowned, or whether you can get away with some being flat and leaving one to do the steering, but if I had to guess, I would probably make the drive and driven pulleys crowned and leave any idlers flat.  But it may only be necessary to have one crowned.  Observations of some installed systems would tell you the practical answer to this question.

I hope that is enough to keep your governor belt properly centred. 

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal