Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72074 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2020, 02:09:27 AM »
Hi Chris, yes there is the hinged cover that is an oil reservoir . on some of the other bearings there are trays to collect the oil that leaks out and is possibly reused . I will have to think about making these when the engine is approaching completion !!  :-\ :-\

Willy.....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #376 on: January 30, 2020, 02:13:44 AM »
I have been busy with my Elliot Unimat lathe and have purchased a quick change toolholder. However when it arrived it was too tall to fit. I knocked it with a file and it seemed to be quite soft so I sawed off the bottom 1/4" and turned it flat on the lathe with the 4 jaw chuck. it then brought it down to the required height. I bought it from RDG and this is the reference idents. It should now speed things up....!! also Jarrolds skip has given me a lifetimes supply of clear perspex !!!!

Willy

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2020, 07:35:14 PM »
Hi Willy, I know it is too late now.
This should be the right size, https://pewetools.de/Produkt-kategorie/schnellwechselhalter/aaa/
I am using it with my Emco Unimat SL.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:43:38 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #378 on: January 31, 2020, 01:28:49 PM »
Hi Willy, I know it is too late now.
This should be the right size, https://pewetools.de/Produkt-kategorie/schnellwechselhalter/aaa/
I am using it with my Emco Unimat SL.

Hi thanks for that ...I just need to brush up on my German now !!

willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:53 AM »
Well I have had a go at trying to make the oil caps on the eccentrics but have failed miserably ??? these parts are tiny and I also need proper drills that actually drill  !!! the No 80 drills I tried using were part of a set in a small blue box, but these are useless and I will have to purchase some proper Dormer ones.....any way a few pics... :'( :'(

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #380 on: February 01, 2020, 02:58:31 AM »
Dang, I am impressed that you got a hinged lid that small made!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #381 on: February 06, 2020, 02:56:30 AM »
More work on the eccentrics... using the Keyway broaching outfit...The rods will be next..

So slowly getting there

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #382 on: February 08, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »
I have had another go at the Lifting caps on the eccentrics... I have turned up a small rod and drilled it through. the rods are then silver soldered into grooves filed into the brass bars. this is just a try out and it seems to work ok

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #383 on: February 10, 2020, 02:13:58 AM »
The eccentric rods are now made... the angle part is silver soldered and then attached with 10 BA bolts the strap.....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #384 on: February 10, 2020, 02:24:57 AM »
Coming together great. Very good proportions on those straps.  :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #385 on: February 11, 2020, 02:31:11 AM »
Hi Chris , yup ,however I managed to have a bit of a blunder whilst drilling and tapping the holes for the bolts.!! I have broken the drill off in one hole of one of the straps, and the tap on the other strap,,,,, so what I have done is to attach the rods with the successful bolt then drill through the strap and the rod.together in the centre of the strap. I then held the parts together and tapped them both. on final assembly I shall screw in a grub screw with loctite ,and this will hold the parts together with no visible sign of this mistake.  A few pics of how I achieved this....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:55 AM »
The lugs have been silver soldered on the other end of the rods and the profiles filed . the eccentrics are placed on the crank shaft and held In place with a keyway.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:15 AM »
Hi Willy, you have done a great job on those eccentric straps and rods.  Did you get the broken pieces out, or are they retained as extra reinforcing?

I am glad that you were able to save them after the broken drill and tap, there was way too much work in them to start over.  But I do really admire you ability to make quite complex shapes with simple tools.

The engine is really progressing well.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2020, 03:10:51 AM »
Hi MJM, I have had to leave those bits in ...however with the extra drilling and tapping in the centre of the strap there is enough strength in the parts to hold them together. I think the way I manage to make these parts is to take it really slowly and work in the middle of the night so there is no distractions... also I procrastinate a lot and this gives me time to think exactly how to make the parts !! also I do make drawings and dimension them exactly to 1/18 scale of the prototype but when I get in the workshop I tend to make the parts without adhearing exactly to the dimension but just .do it ...with the stock and tools I have... Thanks for looking in ...Also the Beeleigh Mill engine has now been run on compressed air ,but I am a bit concerned that their may be condensation taking place as the engine is always very cold to the touch. And there are no cylinder drain cocks with the vertical cylinders as they are inside the steam jacket ??!
Any ideas about this ?

it is now just passed 3 AM so time for bed

willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #389 on: February 14, 2020, 01:25:42 AM »
I am now making the linkage for the valve events... the eccentrics offset is fixed and the valve movement is also pre fixed so the dimensions of the levers have to be determined . I have connected up the air hose and carefully adjusted the centres to enable the engine to work properly....

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal