Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72022 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #315 on: October 20, 2019, 01:50:12 AM »
Hi Mike, yes that vice is helpful and the other vice does have hardened jaws so there is not too much wear on them.... A bit more work on the strap...These straps have an extra part to the gib and cotter with a part that keeps the cotter in place with a bolt......Quite busy at the midlands show and took a few pics that need sorting out ...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #316 on: October 21, 2019, 02:03:48 AM »
More work sorting out the dimensions before I make the parts properly...

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
 :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:      Good job Willy...Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2019, 03:22:06 AM »
so more work on the straps... my friend that does the laser cutting has also had a go at laser printing first he produced the drawing ( not quite correct ) then printed it out.... He then drew the actual proper dimensions out and cut a few more......  I have made the pump side straps and he will cut some more out for me..... I have been using the jig to file out the gib and cotter slots..  I have also got some of these plastic drawers, they are used in opticians shops to hold contact lenses . these were thrown out so I up cycled them home on my pedal cycle....

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
Nice find on the drawers. the printed lattice looks good.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »
Hi Mike, Thanks for that  but I need to improve on them somewhat.   More work on the actually straps now I know what I am doing !! I cut the gib and cotters from round stock and when I file them to width I drop on a not or washer to protect the vice jaws. When I file small components to size I use this nifty sizing tool rather than fiddling about with a digital vernier . new straps are cut out with bright steel rather than clock stock... I still need to make the accurate spacers..

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
Files are always interesting Willy....is this a new UK manufactured brand of file?......

A 12" Hand File - Flat - Double Cut - Bastard? :ROFL:

In accordance with  :happyreader: , do you Christian these files on Brass, and only to be used for Brass?...or is only Mill/2nd Cut or Fine roughness designations for Brass work only? :hammerbash:

This product brand [Spearfile] has not yet made the voyage to OZ.......

We are still stuck with quality file examples from the materials grade & heat treatment Departments from some Easter  Block Countries which are really good :ThumbsUp: ....or one of the variable metallurgical mis-delights of Central Asia  :ThumbsDown:

Derek
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:25:44 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2019, 02:32:57 AM »
Hi Derek,  This file is a 6" one....and talking about files  I have a few here is a DICK file that is West German made and just refuses to wear out !! also the Sunflower...made in India ( Bless.)..not particularly good !!....Also my stock of Valorbe and Grubier Swiss needle files. Really good and interesting shapes. I also have a lot of old stock Spearfiles and P, Stubbs. really good....I do  Christen them on brass but not very often..!! Here also the rods for the straps begun...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2019, 02:38:20 AM »
More work on the motion rods just seeing how it is all going to fit together...still awaiting the new resin cast spacers from my CNC Buddy. !! Also looking for info on some cast iron parts of a water turbine. made by  Victor Water Turbins in Daytona Ohio in the 1870 this is part of the sewerage system in Norwich. it was used to pump air around Norwich to operate the Shone pumps to push the sewerage over the hills to get it to the river. There is a brass part of a gear that is attached to the periphery of the turbine and we do not actually know the purpose of it is??  Any ideas would be welcome. It Is strange that these were imported from the USA although of course they had the bessemer converters years before we did ???

Willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »
Engine coming along nicely Willy :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:   Terry

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2019, 08:27:46 PM »
Willy says.....'USA although of course they had the bessemer converters years before we did'..........

Did you Brits not borrow the LD [Lindz Donawitz?] process as an alternate to the Bessemer process?

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Linz-Donawitz-process

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2019, 02:25:24 AM »
Hi Derek....yes we did borrow and also give lots of stuff worldwide, There are lots of processes with steel and every blacksmith had there own secrets !!!   More work on the extended entablature to support the Watt parallel motion rods... this is built up with various thicknesses of brass plate as per the standards bracket. When I drill brass ,after it is centre popped I file the surface down to stop the drill wandering about. The plates are milled and filed and will be silver soldered to the standards. there will be some quite intricate filing to fit the parts together ...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:13:39 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »
Nice, a great way to build up a complex profile, I used the same method once back in 1969 on an architectural model in 1/16th to the foot scale with layers of 16 gauge steel.

Mike

If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2019, 02:39:45 AM »
Hi Mike , There is quite a bit of work making parts like these but it is what makes an interesting model of a prototype of an early beam engine.  The individual parts are first held together with 1/16th sellic pins then the parts taped right through and screwed together with 10 BA brass screws...the part is put in position and will need some careful fitting.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »
Ornate machines from that era are something to behold. Seeing it come together in miniature is wonderful!

:popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal