Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72011 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2019, 02:47:09 AM »
Hi Chris and Simon,   ha ,yes  i suppose that is exactly what we do .!! Hopefully though we manage to measure and make everything correctly !!! still trying to get some work done ,but lots to do at the allotment, and enjoying the summer ......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2019, 02:13:02 AM »
Managed to get some more work done but still need to do some more  'fettling' on the 'casting'...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2019, 03:19:52 AM »
Starting on the valve followers...these are quite small and i have used 12BA bolts ...however they are too large so may have to use 14 or 16BA bolts and nuts ...!!! I could make them slightly wider though..we shall see what happens...I shall also have to re-align the lower shaft bearing arrangement

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2019, 02:49:53 AM »
So... I have now got some 14BA bolts to use with the new part. I also have some 16BA bolts but they don't seem to be available now and they are 24 thou " that are quite small I have sourced the !4 BA from EKP supplies......I have used slightly larger square stock 5/16" so the smaller nuts will sit better. ...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
The meyer valve gear rod is now positioned and the new sliding connection part made. i shall have to redo the base so the bottom part will fit neatly...I have made the stock twice as long to avoid too much vibration when turning
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:30:12 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »
Starting on the Meyer valve lever...started with a 3/8th square stock and holding in the lathe with a rod soldered in for chucking....

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2019, 02:49:01 AM »
Very interesting mechanism, watching along...   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »
Willy......I understand scale is scale, however 14BA 'in Cheese Head' format leaves a little to be desired and are difficult to accept  :facepalm:

I am comfortable with M2, or at a pinch M1.5.........in most Bronze Grades is OK, however not so friendly in Stainless Grades

For 50+ years I have used British Rocol paste, however more recently gone over to an American Relton Brand tapping fluid........it displays a better fluidity when tapping

[old fashioned Beef Tallow is an ingredient  ....which is also used in cylinder honing fluids]

Pity they couldn't present it in a plastic container that didn't dribble or leak  :stickpoke:

Derek

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:25:33 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:33 AM »
Hi Derek, here in blighty sort of home of the BA screw thread that is over 100 years old and goes down to 25BA all sizes are available.  The thread size starts off at M6...(metric)  but with a 47 degree thread angle !! and each size down is 10% of the previous size. The Taps & Dies are available from Tracy Tools and the nuts and bolts come from EKP...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2019, 02:47:32 AM »
More work on the lever....some filling buttons are made to file up the small end and the other dimensions are sawn out and filed up...
Willy

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2019, 11:25:35 PM »
Willy always great work and that vise of yours has see a lot of projects from all the file marks..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:15 AM »
Morning Willy......yes, we are well versed [and stocked] with BA fasteners here in Australia and naturally all of the older [British] model steam engine plans & drawings nominate BA ......some say in a perfect world and starting from scratch, hard Metric sizing would be a preferable

So, 3 questions...

1. what is the fluid in the Nilkin Black Current jam jar?
2. would it be fair to assume the actual jar is 50+ years old?
3. what deceased animal bones  :hammerbash: were used in the file handles?

Derek

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:16 AM »
Hi Derek, the fluid in the small jar is oil that i tipped the silver steel filing buttons into to harden.  As we are on the brink of Brexit the uk is reverting back to imperial and old fashioned jars like these !!!!  The bones are chicken bones that litter the streets after the night clubs close !! they are actually quite ergonomic to hold and free as well !!

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2019, 03:32:17 AM »
Hi Don, yes the vice is an old Record one ..the jaws are hardend steel and the holes are where i place 1/8th steel rods that are used as stops when i file components ...Thanks for looking in

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »
continuing with the Meyer valve linkage...Using the filing jig to hold these small components  ..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal