Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71992 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2019, 02:12:14 AM »
Beautiful!

Oh, and engine looks good too!   :lolb:

I like the actual measurement, some places it makes more sense than just taking the plan size, which ignores tolerances building up.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:35 AM »
Ok, the con rod  is .25" X .25" and is filed down to  .222 X .137". The hole is then drilled which is also.222" and this is achieved by using two 3/16" square shims to protect the vice. the outer part of the bearing block is drilled sawn and filed to shape.......

Hi Chris , this is the blossom actually from just this one tree......

Online sco

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
Blossom Angel!  Great picture Willy :-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2019, 02:55:25 AM »
more progress on the con rod and the actual correct cotters will be made later as they have the nut and bolt type of adjustment rather than the plain ones ...when the filing was undertaken with the straps ,the drill was used to size the slot and also to hold the part in the vice to file the stock for the other dimensions.....

Willy.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2019, 02:31:14 AM »
I am now making the 2 bearing blocks for the valve levers..I have made some drawings to work from...these were worked out from the photos and the few measurements i took....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2019, 02:38:45 AM »
Very nice - I just love machines from that era, all the little decorative flutings and beading really look wonderful (can be tricky to model, but its a good kind of challenge).
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2019, 02:39:20 AM »
Hi Chris, yes it quite challenging making some of these parts !! So more work with the bearing blocks....but still more to do!!

Willy...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2019, 02:54:25 AM »
I hadn't noticed before that there are two shafts and links in the valve bearing block. What does the second one do? Never seen that before.    :headscratch:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »
Hi Chris , The two valve shafts are bart of the Meyer Valve gear . One shaft operates the main slide valve and the other is adjustable to limit or extend the cut off to improve efficiency .....this is achieved with this valve...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2019, 02:21:03 AM »
Hi, I have been looking at the cylinder block and will be making a fabrication rather than making and using a casting. I have been looking a Jasonb's build on this site and have you d it quite helpful. I am making a perspex maquette to see how it will all go together. One thing i am a bit confused about is how the actual port face is made as there is no way that the face can be scraped to make a perfectly flat surface.?? It can be milled to dimension but to get an absolutely optically flat and smooth surface might be quite difficult.  so here are some drawings and photos of the work so far....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:31:21 AM by steam guy willy »

Online sco

« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »
Nice work Willy, where do you salvage those great lumps of Perspex from though?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
I see what you mean about getting the valve face flat and smooth, with the angled walls around it you can't just use a large lapping plate. I ran into the same issue looking at the Stanley engine design, which I had to modify to make the walls a separate piece. Could you make the valve face an insert, prepare it outside then attach it into the steam chest somehow? It would need some sort of gasket material for a seal around the ports, maybe bed it in JB Weld or something similar?
 :thinking:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
Hi Simon, here in Norridge we have lots of skips that litter the streets with goodies  ,,!! including silver spoons in the posh areas and electric cable, brass, copper , aluminium, stainless steel , etc etc etc ..you have to be quick though as if you leave it 5 mins its gone !!! I do have a few hidden places where i can leave stuff to fetch later !!!
Hi ,Chris ,I had thought of doing just that with a separate plate and will have to see what happens when i get in the workshop !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2019, 02:54:32 AM »
More work on the perspex maquette just to see how it will all go together... Also some of my perspex including some ready made bits !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2019, 02:53:55 AM »
still more work on the maquette...........ok although i have followed the dimensions that i took ,i have found that i will have to change some to actually be able to bolt the cylinder down to the base plate and also enlarge the cylinder cap also to work. unfortunately i can't see under the cladding and also inside the steam chest !!   the steam chest cover is in two parts so as to enable the meyer valve gear to be adjusted whilst the operating wheels actually attached to it.... So Photos....

willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal